Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM Drive won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

posterperson

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
I have Windows 98SE on a 199mhz Pentium Pro with an 8x CD ROM drive (STOP laughing! ;-). When I put in my CD to load my Brother MFP 8500 printer software....nothing happens! The install window doesn't open, when I click on the CD ROM drive icon it says the drive is "NOT ready/accessible". I have blown out any dust from the drive and cleaned the CD. Any helpful ideas? (OTHER than buying a new computer!? :)

Go to Device Manager (in the System Control Panel applet) and see what it says about the CD ROM drive. If there is a yellow mark against it try removing it and restarting windows. Windows should automatically find and reinstall it on the restart. If this does not work, given the age of the drive it has quite possibly died. Check the connections on both the IDE and power cables first and if they are ok I would suggest you try to borrow a known working drive and try that

The new computer idea does sound ok though [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back