Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom drive won't open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
US
Unknown reason, my cd rom drive door no longer will open. Drive is empty of disc. When button is pressed, the drive door light flashes but won't open. Tried "eject" in properties. No movement. Device Manger recognizes drive. "Device is operating properly" is the troubleshooting report. Computer is less than 3 mos. old. Compaq Presario desktop, running WinXP Pro. Have previously often had problem burning cds and getting message request "insert cd" or "no cd in drive" when there WAS a cd in the drive. Solutions please anybody? Thanks!

Time for warranty replacement.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi there,
I had this with my SCSI cd-rom. God knows why.
Just bring the cd-rom back and get one that does work.

JR
As a wise man once said: To build the house you need the stone.
Back to the Basics!

I agrre with the other 2 replies, just replace it buy another (that one is busted)
Sorry to say ...

Thanks everybody for the responses!

Just for your reference. There is usually a small hole on the front of CD/DVD drives. The purpose of the hole is to provide a mechanical method of opening the door for cases such as yours - when the drive stops responding to software or switch commands. One can stick a straightened paper clip into the hole and mechanically open the drive door. This is valuable in case your drive stopped working while media was in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back