Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom drive does not refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPose

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
When I switch cd's in my drive, my WinXP Pro does not recognize the files on the new cd. Mostly... On the directory panel, it might change the directories, but the file panel does not update/refresh. I've tried using the refresh/F5, I've tried using the eject command via right click on the cd drive, I've tried waving my hands in voo-doo fashion... nothing works. Could it be a bios problem, or a service pack problem? I have a CD recorder and a dvd player and both have the same problem so I am guessing it is not a hardware issue, unless it is the computer ( which is a Dell 4300)

Ideas??

Tom

Do you have Autoplay/Auto Insert Notification turned off?
That could cause it not to refresh.
Just in case, those are the functions that recognize and play CDs automatically when they are inserted.

Double-click My Computer, right click the drive in question and hit Properties. You'll see the AutoPlay tab, and you can adjust it from there.

Hope that helps maybe some.

James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician
Associate DCSE for Desktops
Associate DCSE for Portables
(D.ell C.ertified S.ystems E.ngineer)

Thank you both for the information you provided. I have switched the Autoplay option to Take No Action, and am going to locate the SP1 for XP. Perhaps one of these fixes will work.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back