Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM doesn't refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
Say i have a disc in the CD-ROM, say its Norton Anti-virus.. Then i take it out and put in a game called starcraft. The disc auto plays but instead of starting the game it starts anti virus. When i go to my computer and explore the CD-ROM drive, it shows all the files from the Norton anti-virus CD. In order to get the game to work i have to open and close the CD drive a bunch of times. Whats going on here??

Does pressing F5 refresh the drive contents while you are exploring the CD-ROM drive? It should... if it doesn't, then I would say you have a very, very odd problem indeed, and I have no solution for you.

Jason H.

yeah i try to refresh with F5.. no good

Have you purchased your CD-ROM recently, and was it an inexpensive one? The reason I ask is that lower line drives do not always center the disc well.

Otherwise, you may have a problem in the controller or data cable--or the CD-ROM device itself. I'm assuming the controller is onboard, since most are these days, of course, and not on an adapter (expansion) board. If it is on an adapter board, be sure it is seated properly. Then be sure the data cable is connected securely on both ends so that the data flows properly. Also check the controller's configuration--its base address, interrupt line, and DMA channel--to see whether it is conflicting with any other devices.

When encountering this almost same exact problem, an old DOS trick (but you need low level DOS drivers for this) was to run a dir command on the drive letter to which the device was assigned while the device was empty (no disk in it). Upon reporting that it could not read the drive, DOS would provide "abort," "retry," and "fail" options. A known good disk would then be inserted and the "retry" option selected. If DOS could then read it, this was an indication that the device itself was going bad. This, incidentally, worked ONLY in DOS.

The alternative would be to attach a known good CD-ROM to the same cable on the same controller. If the replacement works, you have your answer (and it's likely it will). If it still doesn't, try another cable. If it doesn't yet, you may well have a controller problem, in which case you may have to install an adapter board after all.

I hope I have been of some kind of help.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

hehe thats a lot of troubleshooting for a CD-ROM problem. I guess i can live with openning and closing the drive until it reads the new disc. If i get annoyed of that... ill be sure to follow all the steps you just mentioned to fix the problem.

THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back