Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-Rom/CD-RW not being accessed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozman

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
CA
I have a system with WinXP installed, 1 burner and 1 cdrom on it. Everything worked initially, no problems. Then one day I booted it up and both drives stopped reading ANY kind of media. WinXP recognizes the drives properly, and if I go through system settings I can populate both drives properly. But I can't explore either one, the error is "D/E: is not accessible." I can read cd's in DOS mode, and WinXP recognizes when a CD is in the drive. I just can't access it. Any ideas?

ps. I uninstalled Easy CD creator after installing XP and now use Nero. Also, I had to uninstall Talkworks/WinFax as it was causing some conflicts. Could either of these programs leave nasty hidden remnants?

To me, it sounds like the CD-burner software is at fault here.
I mean - burner software as in both could be the culprit.

#1) Do you have the XP update for Nero ? (the 5.5.01 update, or what ever it is now)

2nd) I would Run Regclean.
> Reboot
> Uninstall Nero
Reboot
> Run RegClean

Then, check it out.

You would know if it was Nero.

Also: Was this a CLEAN install of XP, or an upgrade over Win ME or 98 ? That would be cause for problems as well.

* Also: What happens when you only have ONE CD-ROM hooked up ?

In addition to Jakespeare's suggestions/comments is it that you are trying to read already written cd's you compiled under easy cd creator. If this is the case then I doubt if Nero would read them. It happened to myself when I kinda side upgraded to Nero. Thought I was being clever but found all the cd writes I had done didn't work with nero so it was a long process of copying them to hdd with ecdc and then deleting ecdc and loading up Nero and re-writing them on NEW cd's. A bit of a waste, but effective.

Also if it includes all other cd's then check the wiring inside. Double check the motherboard connections and also have a look at them in system folder or whatever XP has and make sure they are not corrupted by the ecdc Nero swap. This is a long shot but...

CJ75s

Well, I tried your suggestions. Now the drives don't work only half the time. Very strange. My next step will be to take them out, swap them on the IDE and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas.

There are known issues for both Nero and Roxio's Easy CD software in XP. There are updates at both of their websites, but here is what I would try first. Remove the Upper and Lower filter values in the registry. Just follow the link below and it will show you how and where. Just be sure to backup the registry first. That should do the trick!

BTW...Nero uses only a lower filter, so you might not see an upper filter entry unless part of Roxio's registry entries are still there.

Make sure the jumper settings are right. If two drives are on the same cable, one should be master and the other one slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back