Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Encoding can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beholder2

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hello I have a question about CD encoding, on this page the third paragraph under SUBCODES it explains about the PQ subcode data and how there are 8 bits in each frame P & Q being the first two. Now they say P (1bit) gives information on where there is program information, where tracks start, and where the cd ends, fair enough. So at the end of reading 98 frames it has 98 P bits and 98 Q bits of info. My first question is why is this P and Q bit at the end of every frame and not at the end of the sector? wouldn't 98bits or each at the end of the sector accomplish the same thing? why have they set it up like this?

My second question is about EFM ENCODING, how does this encoding work? is there a look up table for all the 8bit-to-14bit equivalents? if so how is it derived? I know in EFM they cannot have less than two bit land or pit and no greater than 10, so is this the deciding factor on the 14-bit codeword?

thanks for any help its much needed and appreciated

You probably won't find the answer you're looking for here. You might want to try a software/programming related forum instead.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back