Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD/DVD Wont read Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
GB
I have a samsung SD608 combined CD/DVD. When I put a Data CD into it, it goes into creative launcher and then will not allow me to read anything on it. Has anyone experianced this before or got any solutions?

Have you tried disabling autorun, and exploring the contents of the CD?
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Yes...I have just recently had this problem occur.
It was very frustrating I tell you.
The reason why it doesn't work is probably because the lens in the CD Rom has broken down. I suggest you:
1. Either buy a new one from the computer fair. They sell 48x for $50 and 52x for about $56. It is very cheap there.
To know about the place, go to computerfairs.com.au
OR
2. Replace the Cd-Rom and ask the person you bought the computer off to replace it for you. It the warranty has not expired.
Hope it helps....

Try a disk with a more reflective backing. Blue-backed discs dont reflect light as well as gold or green backs do. There may also be firmware updates that correct the problem, but as in many home TV CD/DVD players - they dont read all CDr's and many wont read CDRW at all..most often the highest-quality and lightest backed-discs have the most success.

If you know the drive is good, and the lens is clean..try a different disc. Also - determine whether you NEED the creative launcher as well - you shouldn't for a data disk. I have never experienced this problem with a creative drive before.

Hope this helps.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back