Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD/DVD disappears & misc. probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

artyk

Programmer
Apr 5, 2006
US
Hello. I'm sorry if this has been addressed in another thread. I found some similar topics, but I'm not sure it's quite the same as the problem I'm having. My laptop has recently been acting a little flaky. The first problem I noticed was that when I was running a system scan with Windows Defender my computer would sometimes just shut off. Then I noticed my CD/DVD burner would disappear in Explorer and device manager at random. Even more recently, it would have trouble coming out of hibernation (it would just sit on the HP screen and I would have to remove the power cord and the battery and put them back to wake it up fully). Finally, when I would go into the BIOS to check for the CD/DVD drive it would shut off just like when it was scanning.

I want to start by saying I only posted these under one thread wondering if they might be related issues. Also, I have tried the various registry fixes that are out there for CD/DVD problems, but none has helped for even a whole day and might have been coincidence anyway. I know the shutting off problem could be overheating, but I wasn't sure if there could be any other explanations.

My laptop is an HP dv8130us. Turion64, XP Media center SP2, ATI Radeon express 200M, 1 GB RAM.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I am pulling my hair out trying to do search after search and coming up mostly empty. Thanks!

It sounds to me like your CD drive has gone. I had a similar problem with a PC cd/dvd drive. I got a replacement from the shop where I brought it from...

Is the laptop still under guarantee?

If so they should be able replace the drive for you.

Unfortunately, it is not under warranty anymore. The strange thing is, it will also come back periodically (sorry, I think I forgot to mention that earlier). Even when it's "not there" it will still open the tray and make all the right noises like it's trying to read, it just doesn't get past that most of the time.

Don't know if this is relevant or not. I just physically took the drive out, booted, shut down, put the drive back in, and booted and it showed back up in Explorer. I thought that I might try rolling back the driver, so I went in to device manager. All the driver info said "Not available", so I had it search for an updated driver. It found one and now it gives the driver details. It says the driver is from 2001, though, so I am going to look for a newer one. Another kind of strange thing is that in the device manager it shows up as "Device type: unknown". This wasn't always the case. It used to show up under CD/DVD Drive (or something similar). Maybe a driver change will help with that, though.

This may only be temporary, but I thought I would share that info for whatever it may be worth. Wouldn't seem to explain the other weirdness, though.

After some research, neither HP, nor the manufacturer make an updated driver or firmware. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. I'll post back if I find anything else out. Thanks!

Here is some additional info that I learned last night:

It never loses the IDE channel.

When it loses the DVD drive there is an event in the event log that says that the drive disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Just thought I would throw that out there and see if it had any significance.

Have you done a complete ANTI VIRAL and MALWARE SCAN yet?

Online Viral Scanners: faq760-3862

also post a HiJackThis LOG, there may be things that we are able to help by reading the log...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

To me, it sounds like a connection issue. Try pulling the power (battery and power cord), remove the CD/DVD drive, and clean the contacts on both the drive and the internal connection with some Lexite PS. Let it dry *completely* (5-10 minutes) before reassembling and re-powering.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

BadBigBen, yes, I have run several Ad-aware, Avast, and Windows Defender scans and none has turned up anything. I will try some of the online scanners, though.

gbaughma, I don't have any Lexite PS handy, but I'm sure we have something that will work around here.

Thanks to both for your suggestions. I'll let you know.

Have a similar problem on my Acer, I think that the whole tray is looser than it should be. I tend to pull the drive out and slam it back in. Works for me :)

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

So far I have completed F-Secure's online scanner and it found tracking cookies (no surprise) and 3 instances of DLoader. Here's my HiJackThis Log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:54:19 PM, on 1/3/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPWinLct.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\OLAP\bin\msmdsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Binn\msftesql.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\livecall.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8051v2\Belkinwcui.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ContributeBHO Class - {074C1DC5-9320-4A9A-947D-C042949C6216} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Contribute Toolbar - {517BDDE4-E3A7-4570-B21E-2B52B6139FC7} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DPAgnt] C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPAgnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\wianmpa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe_ID0EYTHM] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Adobe\ADOBEV~1\Server\bin\VERSIO~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin Wireless Networking Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8051v2\Belkinwcui.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll' missing
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q405&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {0B79F48A-E8D6-11DB-9283-E25056D89593} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.1) - O16 - DPF: {14C1B87C-3342-445F-9B5E-365FF330A3AC} (Hewlett-Packard Online Support Services) - O16 - DPF: {200B3EE9-7242-4EFD-B1E4-D97EE825BA53} (VerifyGMN Class) - O16 - DPF: {3BB54395-5982-4788-8AF4-B5388FFDD0D8} (MSN Games – Buddy Invite) - O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - O16 - DPF: {5736C456-EA94-4AAC-BB08-917ABDD035B3} (ZonePAChat Object) - O16 - DPF: {6B75345B-AA36-438A-BBE6-4078B4C6984D} (HpProductDetection Class) - O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - O16 - DPF: {9BDF4724-10AA-43D5-BD15-AEA0D2287303} (MSN Games – Texas Holdem Poker) - O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - O16 - DPF: {B1E2B96C-12FE-45E2-BEF1-44A219113CDD} (SABScanProcesses Class) - O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - O16 - DPF: {CB50428B-657F-47DF-9B32-671F82AA73F7} (Photodex Presenter AX control) - O16 - DPF: {DA2AA6CF-5C7A-4B71-BC3B-C771BB369937} (MSN Games – Game Communicator) - O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: DPWLN - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DPWLEvHd.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS3 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin\VersionCueCS3.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Windows XP FUS Manager (DPFUSMgr) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Biometric Authentication Service (DpHost) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

I have just finished running a BitDefender scan and it found 1 file called "CpqsetVer.exe" in my HPQ folder that it said was infected with Backdoor.Agent.AHJ. It seems like that might be an HP utility of some sort that might have some of the same properties as malware (connection to an outside server, keeping track of tasks, etc.), but I don't think it is an actual infected file. I can't find any solid info on it, though. I'm going to reboot and see what happens. If you notice anything in my HiJackThis log let me know. I've never used it before and I'm not sure what to make of some of it. Thanks.

Ok, just rebooted twice (once in safe mode) and still nothing. If I get brave enough I may try to trace the IDE cable and make sure it's connected ok at the drive end. I think it must be ok at the motherboard end since it doesn't lose the IDE channel itself. Outside of that and trying a new drive, do I have any other options?

OK, the log is clean... so nothing to worry there...

what I noticed, though, is that you have iTunes and QT running... my bet is that iTunes may be the culprit here...

DL the following script:
and execute it, run it... reboot...

reason: Apple insert a registry key below the cd rom driver that inserts the extra driver...

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

if this does not help you at all, then I would agree with some of the others and blame the hardware, ergo a loose or corroded connection...

Ben

I've tried a couple of those similar registry fixes to no avail. When I saw those, it sounded like that might be the problem, but nothing ever fixed it for more than several hours. Also, iTunes was preinstalled by HP and it has worked fine for almost 2 years. I never use it and have no problem uninstalling it, but I thought I would mention that it was preinstalled and see if that had any bearing on the issue.

I chatted with HP support and they mentioned that it could be a hardware issue, or possibly a profile issue. I created a new profile and got the same result. On a strange note, while I was at HP's site, I downloaded some new drivers (none of which had anything to do with IDE channels or optical drives). When I ran one of the setups (can't remember which one) the DVD drive showed back up. It stayed for over 24 hours, which is the longest time yet. It did eventually disappear again, though. I'm not sure that means anything in particular, but I thought it was interesting. I'm still working on getting a DVD drive to test.

Ok, I managed to get another DVD drive to test, but now on bootup it just sits at the POST screen, i.e. the on with the HP logo. It used to do this sometimes, but I was always able to eventually get it to boot correctly. This time nothing has worked. That's why I originally posted those problems in the same thread. I'm not sure if the issues are related, but they seem to coinicide somewhat. Any ideas? Thanks.

Could be jumpering is incorrect on the newer drive, for the reason that it just hangs...

so check MASTER / SLAVE settings (best jumper it like the old drive)...

if that does not function as it should, then I am thinking that the controller (IDE) is shot...

and can be circumvented with either buying a new motherboard or a PCI IDE card (pretty cheap now)...

Ben

I would agree, but it is a laptop, so there aren't any jumpers on the DVD drive and I can't get to the motherboard/IDE slot. If I was feeling especially daring I could take it completely apart, but I'm not sure I want to do that if I can avoid it.

Ok, my bad, I forgot that it was a lappy... and had skipped straight down to where it said 'other DVD to tests now hangs at boot..."

now I am pretty sure that it is hardware, IDE channel flaky, going bad or already died...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back