Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD/DVD Burner Device not found, but PLAYS CD and DVD Fine. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
I find this rather odd. My burning software can no longer see my CD/DVD burner. Windows sees the device. It shows in Device Manager. I can access files on a CD or DVD (its a combo CD/DVD Burner). It will play a CD or DVD from it fine.

BUT when I go to burn something, the software cannot find a device. And not just one particular software. I tried all of my various software packages that I use to burn. None of them can find the device.

Any ideas? Thanks.

what about burning from windows itself? right click a folder,and send to cd rom drive, and see if it will right to the drive.

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure what you mean burn from windows.

BUT, in windows explorer, under MY COMPUTER, I can see that drive listed as DVD-RW Drive (E:).

If I put a regular DVD in, I can play and watch the DVD.

If I put a BLANK DVD, the label immediately changes to CD Drive (E:). When I eject the Black DVD, the label changes back to DVD-RW Drive (E:)

If im looking at windows explorer AND opening dvd burner software (Roxio in this instance), I can see DVD-RW Drive (E:) in windows explorer, but the software says no drive is attached.

If I put in a DVD that I have previously burned files to, I can access them.

xp, will write to a cdrom, but not a dvd, what I mean is right click on a folder or file and choose send to cdrom drive, and a "write " balloon will pop up in the tray. Does that work? Also, try delering the drive and ide controller in device manager, and reboot, and let windows reload the drivers. And also try something like imgburn, free software.

Please give us the exact brand/model of DVD drive. It might need a firmware update.

I tried all of my various software packages that I use to burn. None of them can find the device.
How many software packages do you have to burn. You may have caused a problem by installing too many.

Burning a CD in Windows XP - Choose "Mastered format"

In XP, it is common for the Upper and Lower filters in the registry to become corrupted. Check this thread for advice on how to deal with those:
thread602-1458737

Another possible issue could be conflicting software. There was a popular program back in the day called Alcohol 120% used for mounting CD images. If you've ever had that installed (or still do), that could be the culprit. Remove it, reboot, and reinstall your DVD/CD burning software.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

These are all possible factors: Software installed, Firmware of drive, Upper/Lower filters. I guess the easiest thing to try is upper/lower filters issue.

Thanks guys for responding. I'll look into your suggestions and filter issue. Its weird, nothing new has changed or been installed on the computer. Everything works fine. iTunes, Showbiz, and Sony Vegas can see the burner and will burn DVD/CDs. But Roxio Media Creator and Sonic RecordNOW does not see a device. Ive had them all at the same time for years with no problem. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back