Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD drives disappear 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

falban

MIS
Mar 5, 2003
CA
I have a problem with my Windows XP box. I have two CD drives, one is a burner and the other is just a reader. When I've left my system running for a while they just dissappear. No idea why. I have to do a cold boot to get them to come back. I unfortunately have no idea how long it takes or what is causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?????

See if any of these help you.

320553 - CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP

Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer (Q191579)

If you have three or more IDE devices on your system, including the CD-ROM drive, you may need to modify the Windows registry to support more than two IDE devices.

How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)

Linney!
Your link for
"If you have three or more IDE devices on your system, including the CD-ROM drive, you may need to modify the Windows registry to support more than two IDE devices.
"
points to NT4 or older.

Just letting you know...

//Regards Soaplover

soaplover,

Thanks for the correction. Into the bin with that one!

Does anyone know what the limit for IDE devices is on XP now?

Couldn't we just try to locate the corresponding registry key ...

//Regards Soaplover

It would be interesting to know what all the people that had cdroms disappearing have left in their registry
under this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi]

Note! Xp is a bit different than the NT ,it had alle devices under the key ...\Atdisk

//Regards Soaplover

Try:

This "fix" does:
Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You may also want to delete the following 4 Registry keys, (after exporting them to .reg files to make a backup):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

Thanks alot folks. Used the link that bcaster suggested and downloaded a quick little fix for it. I appreciate all your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back