Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Drive Spun Out of Control - Bad Disk??

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanislavJ

Technical User
Jun 19, 2006
US
I just purchased a new computer a few days ago. It has a typical CD/DVD combo drive (play and burn CDS, play DVDs).

This evening, I decided to switch to the optical mouse I had used with my previous computer. I inserted the driver CD that came with it. All of a sudden, the drive started spinning out of control -- it was so LOUD that for a second or two, I thought someone was using a leaf blower right outside my window. Then I realized that it was coming from my computer!

In panic, I hit the power button and restarted the machine. Then I experimented. Put in an audio CD -- no problems. Put in a driver disc for my scanner -- no problem. Put in a data CD -- no problem.

Then I put the mouse driver CD back in, and the thing started to spin like mad again. (I VERY quickly ejected the disc!)

So, two questions. One, can a faulty disc cause this to happen and, two, since the drive still seems to work fine with other CDs, is there any chance that this little glitch may have caused any permanent damage to the drive? (I.e., should I be schlepping the computer back to the dealer?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It won't have caused any damage unless it shattered, since that doesn't appear to be the case I wouldn't worry.

I've not heard of this happening before with a particular disc, the only thing I can suggest is that the surface is scratched/dirty and it is having trouble reading it. Might be worth cleaning it and trying again.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

The only time I have had that happen to me was because I didn't put the CD all the way down into the recessed area, or when the drive closed, the little jerk that it does to start closing caused the CD to jump out of the recessed area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back