Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD causes computer to re-boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arden

Instructor
Aug 24, 2001
CA
Why would the computer re-boot every time it tries to read a cd in the tray? Everything was working fine, and this suddenly started re-ocurring.

Device manager says everything is working fine.
I tried removing the driver, and updating the driver on the windows site, but it says the current driver is the most recent.

The CD works find in another computer, so I know it must be a software/configuration problem.

I tried re-installing Windows 98, but still doesn't work.
Every time a CD goes into the tray, computer re-boots.

I mean the CD player works fine in another computer!

Let's see if I have this right...Your computer is on, you hit the button, tray opens, close the tray and it reboots?

Off the top of my head--
1) boot to command prompt only (or to a boot floppy). Try to insert a disc...does it reboot?
-if not, look at windows type issues
-if so, then perhaps you are having trouble with your power supply. Closing the drive door and spinning up the disc might be just enough load to trigger the problem.

Just my two cents!! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I have seen this several times with failing power supples, the increase in load enough to drop the required voltage for the systen causing a reboot, I would be suprised though if the rom is the only thing causing a reboot? and how random is the fault? could be software or even the CDrom itself. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

this is the only thing causing the computer to re-boot. I tried the cd player in another computer, and that is why I think I can rule out the cd player itself.

If it is the power supply, how can I test that? Do I disconnect other peripherals, and see if it is o.k.?

btw, at the command prompt, still re-boots the computer...

If it still reboots at the command prompt (not in a dos window from within windows), then you can safely rule out windows, drivers, software, etc.

You are correct. If the CDROM drive works fine in another PC, then it seems that the drive itself is good.

It sounds like Power supply at this point. It is easiest to just try a new one, but you can test it by unhooking other things if you like. The trick is that whatever you unhook can't be critical to the PC's usage (you might unhook extra fans--not the CPU fan, extra hard drives, etc). Unhooking a floppy drive will not help you, as it really only draws power when it is actively being used.

It is possible that you have a bad power tap. Possibly try another one. (It is rare to see this, but I suppose it is possible). Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back