Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burning format incompatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
GB
I've run into an unexpected problem with my new PC - not even sure which forum to post this problem in but I'd be grateful for any help!

OLD PC: 4 yrs old, Win 98(original) using a Hewlett Packard stand-alone CD-writer (7500 series). I regularly use RW CDs to transfer data onto my Mac-OS8.6 (which is hooked up to a standalone Iomega RW drive). No problem - the discs are in UDF (Universal Disk Format) which both re-writer drives read quite happily.

NEW PC: Sony PCV-RX624 with DVD/CD multi-burner seems to only create CD-RWs in the CDFS (ISO 9660) format. The Mac can see the files, but is unable to open all of them properly... for instance HTML web pages appear as HTM file extensions on the disc ruining any navigation coding that "points" to HTML links.

I know nothing about these different CD formats or if there is anything I can do to resolve the problem.
Will I have to connect my ageing Hewlett Packard re-writer up to my new Sony (with its associated software) in order to still create UDF CD-RWs??? Seems daft......

I would think that's a setting in the recording software, not a setting with a specific burner. Which software did you use for each burner?

I agree with dakota81. If you are now using XP go to the XP forum and ask there. XP has it's builtin CD burning software that sometimes conflicts with other software.

Hi

Franklin97355 is right. XP's built in burning software is a real pain. I use Easy CD Creator 5 and I couldn't write multisession disks or erase CD RW's. I was just told that the disk was locked by another application. As soon as I turned XP's version off everything was fine.

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Thanks to all of you for that... yes, I was beginning to think "could it be a software issue?"

I'd appreciate, "TSSTECHIE" any tips on how I turn XPs burning software off.. I'm very much a newbie to Win XP - mine is the Home edition, by the way.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back