Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burning at 8x no longer possible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinid

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
CA
I used to burn CD's at 8x no problem, but sometime last year, burning at 8x produces errors partway through. The error is always buffer underrun. I'm assuming that the cause is some slowdown on the OS side. Any ideas on what to check to speed things up? (I'm running W2K from a laptop, CD burner connected via PC card)

When was the last time you ran disk defragmentation?

Might be worth a go.

Cheers.

I'll give it a go. Thanks. (I'll post the results when finished).

Dillinger99,
hmmm No. In fact, I don't even know what brand of CD's I was using before. How much of a role does that play?

By the way, since you mentioned it, I've heard that depending on the color of the CD's, based on what material was used to make it, it has different qualities and lasts longer/shorter. Is there a list somewhere of these qualities? That may help me on the CD selection side.

Andreh,
I've defrag'd but haven't burned yet. I'll let you know how it goes. When I started up the defrag utility, a defrag was recommended by the s/w.

Do you have anything else running in the background that might be a processor hog, or any schedulers running while you are burning CD's

MarvO said it

No, I shut everything down before burning. My virus scanner might still be running (ie: in the background, waiting, not actually running a scan), but I believe it was running in the days I could still burn at 8x.

I don't know about CD color, but I do know I've had problems with different batches of CDs from different vendors--some will burn faster than others even if the label says it's rated the same speed.

What exactly governs at what speed a CD can be burned at? What's the diff between a "12x" and a "32x" CD? And for example, if I put in a 4x CD and burn at 12x, will the speed simply default to 4x, or will error occur? (Or even worse, will an error not occur but the process finish with deceiving 'successfully burned' messages?)

CDR n CDRW uses dye that changes colour if exposed to laser. Different brand uses different dyes which is why the quality and speed varies.

I'm putting this very generally, for more info and some links

Most CD Writing software will adjust the speed if its not supported, since it will test the cd before writing. Nero, for example, alerts you that it will use a lower speed.

12x means that the cd can be written to at 12 times the speed of a normal cd-player (don't ak me the speed, I've forgotten), while 32x means that it can be written to at 32 times that speed. 32x is definitely faster.

the speed of the cd is normally printed on the cd, though I've seen some that does not. I generally steer away from those.

i have same problem, my cd writer can burn upto 24x speed but i always have problem if i burn with more than 8x speed even i have 32x writeable cd.

Knowledge is a key of success.

The speed at which you can burn CD's at really depends on the specs of the hardware the burner is installed in. If you think that when you buy a 32x CD burner it will burn at that speed then you should think about it a bit more.

When you burn a CD, information is requested from the hard disk, sent up the bus, processed by the processor (unless SCSI is involved) and then burnt to the burner. (this is a rough but hopefully gives you a good picture)

If you have a 5400 RPM disk, 100MHz bus, 1Gb processor etc, there is a physical limit of the data that can be transferred at any one time. This is why it too so long for the faster burners (20x plus) to come around. The hardware was just not up to it. Data can only be transferred at the fastest rate of the slowest device in the system also, you might have the latest hardware but only have a 5400rpm or 7200rpm disk. I suggested earlier that disk defrag may play a part.

Maybe have a look at this rather than the disks as you may be assuming you system is not at fault.

Hope this helps.

Leitana, Andreh,
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the link Leitana posted (looks packed with info!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back