Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCVP or IP or SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

imbadatthis

Technical User
Aug 16, 2009
CA
Hello all,

yesterday i passed my last exam required for my CCNP .

background:
i have CCNA and CCNP now..
i work for a giant ISP/teleco
i have a math degree and am trying to get compsci ...

can i get a discussion started on which path might be better?

CCVP , CCIP or CCSP

I've been reading on cisco's site that for the SP and VP i would need to also pass CCNA voice /CCNA security ...

thanks,

For the VP, if you pass the CVOICE exam that will automatically make you a CCNA Voice.

If you are already with a Telco, than the CCIP might be the way to go with the MPLS and BGP work. I didn't think the CCIP was nearly as difficult in comparison to the CCNP track.

Plus with the CCIP, you have overlap with the QoS exam if you decide to go with for the CCVP later to get a better understanding of CUCM.

I think the answer is somewhat obvious? Unless you are already playing with all the high level equipment. If not ccip all the way. Plus ccip overlaps a little with ie which is why i am dual studying both.

CCNP

I agre CCIP is the way to go. Especially if you ever plan to go for CCIE routing and Switching. Its almost mandatory for that in my opinion as pretty much all the CCIP topics are covered in depth.

As for it being easier than the CCNP, I'm not so sure about that. I though QoS was easy and routing wasn't bad (plus you already have it). On the other hand BGP as the toughest 642 level exam I had and MPLS just builds upon that. I passed all on my first shot but they weren't easy per se.

Good luck.

so from what im reading CCIP > CCVP.
how about the CCSP ?

Yes, for you. The vp is not similar at all in content to either the ip or sp (except the qos in ip and vp) do not think that ont had all their is about voice, you will most definitely feel like your starting over with either. But with your hesitance towards the ip, i think it is evident you don't want to do it. Go to cisco.com and check out the exam objectives, if getting dial tone get you going, well go for it. Vice versa if you like keeping dirty thieves out of your network and reading over tons of auditing documents....well that's that.

I am not sure exactly what you do (meaning what technologies you support) at your "giant telco" but i work for one too and i deal with bgp and MPLS, so ccie and ip are pretty obvious.

Personally I like them all, but they all require time.

CCNP

Thanks again ISP King.

I work on the voice side / copper / POTS currently .

Im getting most of my practice and hands on by volunteering my time a few floors down at the lab, due to that i was given chances to play around with real equipment when I needed to study....

those guys are suggesting with my POTS experience i should go for CCVP .....

I think you are right though, it seems IP would be the ideal one for me, yet im concerned about getting a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back