Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCTV cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadphoneguy

Vendor
Mar 6, 2013
US
Hello,
I am doing some cabling for a customer, running CAT5e to 2 cameras about 750 feet away. These are 12V DC cameras on a power supply for 4 cameras with 5 amps. I am wondering if the distance will be an issue for the power drop off? The video will be converted with a balun.
Also, if these 2 cameras are right next to each other, can i just pull 1 Cat5e and use 2 pair of the Cat5e for one camera and use the other 2 pair for the other camera, one for video and one for power? Will this cause any issues,,,ie..bleedover..etc.
Thank you in advance for your help.

750 feet is a long way for 12v. Many cameras will also do 24v - have you checked to see if that's an option? Or power closer to the camera? You could use a single cat5 - use one pair each for video and have power use one pair for pos and another pair for neg - and share between the two cameras.

I had a nice post that had links to tables that would help solve your problem. Unfortunately that post was deleted by forum admins at the request of a drive-by poster. Sorry I don't have the time or inclination right now to find the links again but searching on cctv volt drop should answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back