Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCTV BNC->COAX Monitor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokwww

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
We have a CCTV system in our school's theatre. One of the cameras pointed at stage we need to get sent backstage. We ran the cables (all RG6 terminated with BNC, power is 24VAC seperately connected) but we didnt have a BNC security monitor. We terminated the end as coax and tryed to connect to to a regular TV but couldnt find the picture on any channel. When we brought our monitor out there it works fine so the cables are spliced and run perfectly. Is there anything we can do to get it working on a regular TV without buying a BNC monitor? Any suggestions are welcome also.
Thanks
-Alok

What you need is an RF modulator. Radio Shack has them for one, they just take video and audio inputs (generally on RCA fittings) and it has an "F" fitting for the RF to go out to the television. Generally there is a switch to select channel 3 or 4. You should be able to find them from several electronic suppliers. Current video games sometimes come with one or there is an option for them with many video games.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Does your TV have a RCA input? If so terminate your coax with a BNC, install a BNC to RCA adapter, plug it in and switch to your A\V input on your TV.

CCTV cameras send out a raw video signal. The channels on your TV receive RF(radio frequency). That is why the way you did it won't work. The RCA input on TVs however will except raw video. If you don't have them then daronwilson's solution is the easiest one. The device he is talking about takes the raw video, converts it to RF and assigns a channel to it. Either way you'll probably have to terminate the wire with a BNC and use a BNC to RCA adapter.

Okay I got one of the things that take it from F Connector to RCA and it works fine now. Thanks for all your help!
-Alok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back