Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCSP Study Material 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeddish

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2007
US
I passed my CCNA a few days ago. It didn't really give me a hard time. Now, I'm looking to a CCSP cert. I know that some people think that you should do a CCNP first, etc. I want a CCSP.
I really liked the Cisco Press books for the CCNA. The format, etc. was very nice. I was wondering what Cisco books I will need for the CCSP. I looked into available books, but they are all for tests that have been (or will be soon) phased out.
Does anyone know what Cisco books I will need for these newer tests? If Cisco Press isn't feasible, what other publisher would be good?

Here's a quick rundown of the tests:

Each of these:
642-552 SND
642-503 SNRS
642-523 SNPA
642-533 IPS

One of these:
642-513 HIPS
642-591 CANAC
642-544 MARS

Thanks.
-Joel

Joel,

You can do any cert you want HOWEVER, I will tell you what the Cisco Security CCIEs told us in a security class I attended at a Cisco Networkers convention:

They said that they did not understand how anyone could secure a network until they were an expert on how that network worked - they felt you should be at least a CCNA before Secuirty + and they felt a CCNP before CCSP or Security CCIE.

Most of these guys were Routing & Switching CCIEs before they did Security CCIE and all were at least a CCNP.

Just some thoughts based on some people that know a whole lot more then me

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

It would depend how much Cisco experience you have. Someone with a CCNP or a CCSP is expected to have a year or two of Cisco hands on experience.

Is there any one in this forumn who is passed CCSP recently can tell us which study guides used to prepare this exam. I am also looking for the right answer from you.

Could some one suggest me who is the Author from Cisco Press is good for CCSP preparation?

Thanks

I've just passed the Pix exam and it wasn't too hard. I had done the course though and spent a lot of time at work recently doing PIX stuff which certainly helped. It was a bit of a sidetrack from what i wanted to be doing: CCIP as i have already got a CCNP and i reckon that the CCIP stuff is solid knowledge for the CCIE R&S.

I agree with everyone that says a CCNP is a must before a CCSP. Don't kid yourself that you know 1% of anything yet after just doing a CCNA, the subject gets deeper and broader than you could possibly imagine. There really is no point in being able to configure a PIX and NAC (for instance) if you haven't got a solid understanding of the entire routing and switching subjects that form the basis of networking beforehand.

just my 2 cents.....

If you waltzed CCNA then ok, but I first took my CCSP (CCSE as it was), without getting CCNP first and it did not equip me with the ability to fulfill the role. The CCSP as it is now is a lot, lot harder.

My advice would be to concentrate on CCNP as the core skills and confidence you build will make the disciplines of CCSP a lot easier to master. Plus, I would not recommend CCSP to anyone who does not daily use the technologies involved as the day-to-day management of Cisco security environments is seriously complex and unforgiving, and it is a given that you will be able to fulfill CCNP level tasks in addition to security.

As has been said, CCNA leaves you with a basic understanding, but how this knowledge is applied to real world situations is mind-boggling. Don't devalue the level of knowledge you have gained, but understand that the learning curve does not level off after CCNA, nor CCNP for that matter.

NettableWalker and GM2005,

Thanks for the GREAT advice about CCNP and an expert or above average knowledge of Cisco networks before you try to secure them with CCSP!

I have sooo many students that want to rush into security for the BIG BUCKS with little more then a simple Intro to Networking class under their belts!

I always smile to myself when I see them signing up for more UNIX and networking classes after they start reading their first security book :)

E.A. Broda

I am just looking for an opinion on the CCSP. Do you think it teaches security fundamentals? or does it just expect you to have a solid understanding of network security and shows you how to do it the "Cisco" way?

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........

gb0mb,

As with CCNA, CCNP and most Cisco certs CCSP is geared towards how Cisco does it! However, you can not teach/learn even how Cisco does it without teaching certain fundamentals along with it.

What Cisco says -

Cisco Certified Security Professional

CCSP Instant Answers
The CCSP certification (Cisco Certified Security Professional) validates advanced knowledge and skills required to secure Cisco networks. With a CCSP, a network professional demonstrates the skills required to secure and manage network infrastructures to protect productivity and reduce costs. The CCSP curriculum emphasizes secure VPN management, Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager (ASDM), PIX firewall, Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA), Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS), Cisco Security Agent (CSA), and techniques to combine these technologies in a single, integrated network security solution.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back