Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ccnp technical school?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdl508

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello, I have been looking into various options for training for the ccnp. I really am interested in knowing the material inside and out not just passing the tests. Anyway I went to a somewhat local school last night and they seem to have a very good system. They go over the traditional 4 ccnp topics in a strictly hands on approach. (every student gets a few routers and switch for class) They also build on some ccie topics, atm, voip, security. Instructors are ALL ccie's. Here is the Q. It cost's 5k for a 13 week course. They offer alifetime membership to there facility which has a NOC, many routers (7500's, cat 5k's etc) but man that seems like a lot of $$$ for 13 weeks. What do you guys think?
Thanks
jdl

Do you have a network academy near you, which teaches CCNP material? would probably cost a lot less.

dogbert, I do have a networking acadamy close however they only do ccna. I have even scheduled a time and spoke with the director who said there is no cahnce of getting a ccnp class there. He said he can hardly hold in the ccna's who are there to make 6 figures and then realize the reality of our job. Anyway I think I am gonna go for it. I figure 1 class of 5 day's at global knowledge is about 2500 so this isnt so bad. Plus I will get to do some ATM and voip stuff which will get me going should i decide to go for ccie.
thanks
jdl

well, see if your netacad is going to start a CCNP track (i'm going to semester 7 of netacad (CCNP switching next week), but we are a regional network academy, so we train instructors from other academies.

I did CCNP without going to an academy and got through it OK. However I DID do the first three semsters of CCNA and that was a fantastic help because I got the hands on experience you don't usually get. Do you have your CCNA already? If not it may be a bit tough to go straight into CCNP.
ajcazz

ajcazz, I read your post earlier on ccnp in 3 months. I would LOVE to do that. What study methods did you use, labs books etc. It looks like I will be doing the self study route as it turns out. I have a few routers at home but a switch would help I'm looking at a 2912 xl for switching excercises. that should be good for vlans etc. And yes I do have my ccna. thanks for the reply
jdl

welp, if you have a POTS simulator (100 bucks), ISDN simulator (about 1700 or so), 2 routers which will support ISDN U int (2525 would work here), 3 2501, 1 4000M (FR/X25 switch), couple of USR robotic external modems (for POTS stuff), and 1924/2912/2924 switches, you should be all set for anything CCNP related (IMO)...

jdl508,
It sounds like your pretty well set up there with equipment. If you can get a switch, that will help HEAPS on the switching exam - make sure you know what type of switches use which type of command set - you will breeze through it if you do. Otherwise, I used the CCNP boxed set (not the exam prep guides) from Cisco press. For test questions, I used Boson's - good for practice and revision.
Good luck, hope this helps.
ajcazz

Here is a question, what is the external modems used to simulate. I've been looking at otheres lab configs and they have 2 routers with a modem on each aux port then these modems connect to make a POTS cloud? I'm assuming this is to simulate some sort of DDR but who would use a modem in this day and age for WAN use? Also how do the modems connect to one another? Wel thanks again. Im neck deep in IS-IS right now. this is def a little more complex than rip LOL
thanks
jdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back