Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP Recertification

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobo66

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
I received my CCNP about 4 ½ years ago and never went for my recertification, am I still eligible to recert?
THX…

lobo66,

You have waited 1 & 1/2 year too long - recertifications need to be done every 3 years.

Recertification:
CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, and CCIP certifications are valid for three years

And you have to be a CCNA to take the CCNP exams :-(

CCNP Prerequisites:
Valid CCNA certification or any CCIE Certification can act as a pre-requisite

Hope this helps !!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

So did my CCNA expire also I think that about 6 years old

lobo66,

Your CCNA would have been renewed when you passed your last CCNP exam - since that has all been more than 4 and 1/2 years ago, your CCNA and your CCNP are both gone :-(

This is why I said that you will need to start with the CCNA since you have to be a CCNA to sit for the CCNP exams ........

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Soooooo important to keep those certifications current. Easier to do now than ever, and it saves you from having to climb all the way up that long hill again.

Personally, if I ever stop going for more new certifications (which keep recertifying the old), I'll just take the CCIP BGP exam over and over again. That thing was so easy it was silly.

CCNP, CCDP

I'm with you, but my exam of choice was QoS. I thought that was a walk in the park.

Really? That's good news since that's the next one on my agenda after the Christmas distractions. I absolutely hated the ONT exam for the wordiness of it, and I kind of feared the dedicated QoS exam would be much the same but I have to get that one for a bunch of reasons. I seriously think that the 642-661 exam was the easiest I've ever written though, moreso than any entrance exam I've seen. I think I actually uttered "Seriously?" under my breath at every other question for that one.

CCNP, CCDP

Yeah, I did ONT and QoS pretty much back to back. Lots of overlap, and Wendell Odom's book does an excellent job covering everything you need.

Of course right at the time I went through those exams, I had just done a lot of QoS work so a lot of it was drilled into my head from that.

I can't really speak to the BGP exam, I did the BGP/MPLS combined, but that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought either.

Dalt,
I heard that exam was rough! You give me hope!

Billy Haines
CISSP Associate, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I didn't think it was bad. But I read MPLS Fundamentals, Internet Routing Architectures (great book for BGP btw), and the BGP/EGP chapters from Routing TCP/IP Vol2.

Was also another where I had some great timing at work and was implementing some VRFs and doing some BGP work. Always amazes me how much my work and studies seem to overlap at the right times.

I haven't done the MPLS exam yet either but I live and breathe that topic so I don't think it to be a big deal. I'll consider the cert pretty much done after QoS. Man I hope it's not full of long-winded essay questions...

CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back