Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP Advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

silks101

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
GB
I recently passed my CCNA and want to carry on and get the CCNP - I have two options 1) the CCNP network academy program (done over 2 years cost £2400) or 2) 10 day bootcamp cost £4556

Any one got any recommendations on the best way to prepare for CCNP exams ideally without having to pay over £4000

thanks

Steve

If you just want the cert then a bootcamp is the quickest way.

If you want to learn something then the Cisco Academy plus experience is the best way.

Alternatively if you gwork in networking and get hands on then why not try self study using Cisco press books and Sybex as a second reference.

Regards

Ste

I am afraid I must disagree with the previous post regarding bootcamps. Although I am a little bias, seeing how I teach them, you will learn a great deal in a GOOD bootcamp.

There are many reputable companies out there that will give you REAL world experience and the knowledge to pass the exams.

Having said that, it still may be possible for you to self study. Obviously a much shorter route. The only problem with this method is the lack of hands on experience. This can easily be remedied with some online labs that are relatively inexpensive. About $20 an hour for a good rack of equipment (Don't mean to sound dirty).

If you are not a good self starter, I would suggest the bootcamp route. The Network Academy route is too lengthy and by the time you reach the end, you forgot what you learned in the beginning!

Lou Rossi
CCPrep.com

I agree with Lou. I've done 2 different boot camps in the past and with a good one, it's invaluable. The good one will encourage interaction between staff and students and student to student. There will be more then just "test questions and answers". There will be enough material to make your brain hurt by the end of the day. One my favorite experiences was at a boot camp for my MCSE (16 days) and around day 12 in my room at night the phone range and woke me up.. the funny part was that I was face down sound asleep and drooling between the pages of one of the study guides.. did you know the paper crinkles up with you drool on it? [roll2]

The camps I went to offered both the room to stay at, the food and the coursework. It was very nice since you could walk into the lab 24 hours a day.. it's kinda of cool when you go into the lab at 1am and someone else is in there fighting the same problem you are. Group therapy at it's best.

Anyways.. do your research to who is offering the classes, what is the content and find former students.

Also, I have done the self study route (no pun intended)and I speak from experience that its MUCH harder then the boot camp. Too many distractions, if you hit a roadblock it can be hard to get timely help and I spent hours on a BGP lab only to work out that the text book was incorrect, not my results..grrrrr... gotta love Cisco Press at times :/
But, I did work my way completely through my CCNP on my own so it's possible.

Just my two cents worth

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thank you for your responses - all valuable opinions - having completed the CCNA with the Academy program I know what to expect if I follow that route, the downside is that it takes far too long!!!

Has anyone taken any bootcamps for the CCNP in the UK or could recommend good companies to speak to?

Thanks

Steve
CCNA

Steve,

I done my CCNA through a bootcamp and then went on to do CCNP self study...

As the others say I would def. recommend Boot camps, just be prepared to put in a lot and I mean alot of hours while your there.

I used the trainingcamp ( and thought of them highly enough to offer a recommendation, but theres plenty around...

Mark Hood
CCNP, MCSE

I'm going to add something from the perspective of someone who started as a cable puller and worked through every position in IT to end up managing it. Not to sound impressive, but just to let you know that I have at least some knowledge of various positions in IT, because I've held them. I also hold CNE, MCSE, CCNP which don't mean jack #$%^ if I can't back them up on the job

This is only my personal opinion, so take it anyway you wish...

First, I realize that nobody is an expert. I don't care what they say, they don't know everything. Now, with that understood...what's important is not necessarily knowing the answer to a network problem, but know where to "find" the answer.

No matter how you get your cert..remember this. Don't worry about knowing everything. Just worry about knowing how to find the answers you need to do your job. The cert is your foundation to build upon. It shows that you at least understand a somewhat standardize basic knowledge of your field.

When I interview people, I naturally notice the certs on resumes. I respect them. But, then I look at the person. I don't expect the person to know everything, but I expect the person to acknowledge that he/she doesn't know everything...but can find the answer. If I have someone who claims to be a CCNP or MCSE and is constant running to me for help...I've got the wrong person. On the other hand...if that person has exhausted the knowledge base of MS or Cisco and then comes to me. I will gladly assist and not think poorly of that person. Mind you, if it's something critical, then the faster it's fixed the better.

I guess what I'm saying is...get your cert in whatever method fits your budget and desires. But remember that if your resume claims that you know EIGRP, multicasting, MLS, STP, etc. you will be expected to back it up. You may not be expected to know it off the top of your head, but at least know the basics and be able to go find the answers to the rest. I've tested on many things that I don't remember, since I don't use them. But I can do a memory refresh real quick with my resources. But, by saying you are certified, you are saying that you at least know this...this...and this. I would expect a candidate to at least know the basics of this...this...and this.

A piece of paper can open doors that would normally be locked shut for you. After you walk through that door...it's all up to you. Just keep the right mindset during your studies, and you'll do fine.

Sorry to babble, but I've had too many people come through our department that relied on their certs more than their abilities. The cert is a baseline. Your abilities build upon them.

One more thing. Learn as much as you can while getting your cert. Your cert may help you get the job, but I can guarantee your knowledge and experience will get you a better paycheck to go with it.

Good luck, and I hope you do very well in your studies. Never stop learning.

Great, have any position openings in Oklahoma City?

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, CST

I think most cost effective and practical method would be to purchase a good set of books (ie. Cisco Press CCNP references) and use the $4000 and buy some second-hand cisco gear for a lab. There are so many labs refs, resources and technical advice on the web which can supplement your training, but the real key is to get hands-on practice on routing/switching equipment.

Having your own gear will allow you to easily simulate scenarios whenever you like. You will understand theorectical concepts better by putting them into practice. Regardless of managing to get CCNP certification or not, if you spend 5-10hrs a week on your lab testing different scenarios, network topologies, routing protocols etc.., you will have gained some decent skills to go along with the theory you've learnt. Bierhunter put a good spin on this certification subject, look beyond just getting your certification but gaining practicals skills along the way.

The bootcamp would be more cost-effective when you are ready to take the CCIE lab challenge. By this time you would already have a decent lab to extend upon.

Then again if you've got plenty of money to spend, bootcamps and network academy programs are always going to be useful.

JimmyZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back