Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA VTP Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoehero

Technical User
Oct 29, 2007
US
I was taking the CCNA last week and on a switching question got stumped. It was a 5 part question (I got stumped on the last part of the question) which I see was covered a while back with the various show commands. My question is pertaining to how a switch receives vtp updates.

A new switch (sw X)is added to an existing network connected to swB.

sw B stats:
revision number 9
ciient mode
vlans: red, white, blue
connected to two vtp server switches, sw A and new sw X

sw X stats:
revision number 7
server mode
vlans: car, truck, train
priority 1

does sw X receive new vlans from sw B because of revision number?
does X still keep its old vlans?
does sw B get new vlans from sw X?

in the test sw X had priority of 1, but from the Sybex reading i thought priority had to be increments of 4096, so would this make the switch function any differently?

The priority is a distractor that has to do with the root bridge selection. It has nothing to do with VTP. VTP looks at the following: 1) same version number; 2) same domain; 3) same password; 4) connected on trunk link; 5) highest configuration revision number. Updates occur as changes are made on a server and pushed out or after 5 minutes in a stable topology. For this question, swX will get its VLAN information overwritten by swB because swB will forward the VTP updates from the server at swA.

Regarding the priority in increments of 4096. Newer switches use what is called the extended system ID which forces priority to be in increments of 4096. Older switches can set priority in units of 1. Extended system ID is covered in CCNP BCMSN.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back