Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Voice Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniffer2112

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2009
US
Wanted to post this to see what people though...

I wanted to go down the CCNA Voice path. I have the CBTNuggets video and the instructor said that most people get their CCNP first before going down the Voice path.

What are your thoughts.... Go straight to Voice or get CCNP first?

Of course going straight to Voice sounds tempting since it's one test compared to the 4 test CCNP. But I'm sure in the real world it might be wiser to get CCNP.

-Todd-
CCNA, A+

**Mathmatics affects 7 out 5 people each day**

I'd need to review the objectives for the CCNP again since it's changed from the time I finished mine. But off hand I can't think of a real advantage to doing one before the other. The CCNP will give you more background on QoS, but don't remember having much for QoS beyond what the voice traffic should be set for in the CVoice course (I took the CVoice 6 to get my CCNA Voice).

The only real advantage I could see to doing the CCNP before the CCNA Voice is getting more hands on with the CLI for setting up dial-peers.

Are you planning on pursing the CCVP at any point?

The question here is what do you work on mostly?

If your a vendor or a business with Cisco Voice I would recommend getting certified on the specific product (cme or CUCM).

If your more of a router and switch person I would then recommend pursuing CCNP.

Now if your working on both this would be my path.
Network+, CCNA R&S, CCNP, CCNA Voice, then CCVP.

This is the path that I actually chose and it seem to work well for me. Ultimately it's your decision, just don't short change yourself take the your time and energy to do it right.

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP, CCVP
Avaya IP Office 500, CS1000

Currently I am not in the networking field. I do desktop/laptop support. Setting up accounts, troubleshooting, etc.

I am currently looking for a job in the network field. I got my CCNA hoping that would help with the cause.

My goal will be to get the CCVP. I would like to get CCNP at some point. But it does look like getting the CCNP before going to voice would be most beneficial.

-Todd-
CCNA, A+

Something else to take into consideration is timing. I've been seeing rumblings that the CCNP track is changing again. Not that you want to rush through any of it, but I was working on it when it changed the last time moving away from the BCRAN and CIT exams. I had all the material for those exams, and there wasn't a target for new material coming out soon at that time.

If it were me and I had the material to do the CCNA Voice and thought I could crank it out in a timely manner, would be tempted to get it done then see what the CCNP changes are going to be.

Of course, I have no confirmation on any changes for the CCNP...maybe someone else out there does.

Good point Lerdalt. I thought I heard/read something about CCNP changing in January. Will be worth looking into.

-Todd-
CCNA, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back