Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ccna training -bootcamps vs Tech Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamtnman

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I just purchased the Wendell Odom CCNA books and have started studying but I wonder if I would learn better in a school or classroom environment.
Can anyone make any suggestions.
whats the best thing to look for in a school
are the bootcamps worth the money, what about the programs at the private tech schools like herzing and such.
Ive seen some junior/tech colleges have programs but most seem generic and not based on getting a specific certification but just a networking or cis degree from them.
would it be best just to save the money build a lab and try to tuff it out at home.
I am an old nortel phoneguy by trade but with nortel being purchased by avaya and not knowing the future. I want to eventually get a ccna-voice but i know i will need the best foundation possible if i am going to be good at it.

T.R.
RCDD

Honest officer,I know I've been thinking but i ain't thunk yet

I would suggest a lab at home PLUS Cisco Academy classes. the bootcamps may be good for a refresher, but IMHO, not a beginner...but at LEAST a lab at home, NOT just GNS3/Dynamips.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Actually at your junior colleges, if they are CCNA classes (Cisco Net Acadamys) then they are meant to get the CCNA certification. Go here and see if there is one near you;

Classes are definitely worth it over the bootcamp, but would still recommend having a lab at home to keep practicing away from class.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I agree with Burt and Dallas, skip the bootcamp unless it's for a refresher.

As far as whether or not to do the junior college thing or self study, I'd say it can depend on what type of learner you are. You might get through it all faster if you self study with practice in your own home lab and use the forums for help when you have questions. But the advantage of a college course is actually having an instructor and other students to help with the studies. I'm a pretty big believer in the buddy system to preparing.

alamtnman,

I agree with Burt, Dallas and Lerdalt, look for a Cisco Network Academy near you and go check them out, hopefully you will have several to choose from. Talk to the instructor and see what equipment they have.

You can find Cisco Network Academys at many universities, colleges and even adult education centers.

As everyone said - do not do a bootcamp - they are for people who are in the indudtry and just need the refresher!!

Like it has been pointed out - schools are great place to find a study budy as well as an instructor to ask questions of :)

And I also agree - get a home lab with real Cisco routers and switchesa - best way to learn !!!!

Hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

HI Alamtnman,

I came from an Avaya background and I gained the CCNA to expand my knowledge of IP for obvious reasons (VOIP) like yourself.

I went the self-study route with lots of Books, Nuggets and Simulator downloads. I also had a network manager friend to help for the questions.

I would say you could get it without the classes.

Don't think you can beat classes if you have the cash though.

I have found though 'if you don't use it, you lose it' and i have had to go over everything and purchase some small routers/switch to enable me to refresh and continue cisco certs. Cannot beat hands on.

Good luck

Are you the real Leo Sayer?lol

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Burtsbees,

It's just that 'I need you' so you can help me on this forum.

When you answer I 'feel like dancing'.

I had a big mop of curly hair as a kid, so the nickname has just stuck since them. Also David Hassalhoff :)

Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back