Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Sim Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPR1

Technical User
May 11, 2007
Hello all,
Are sims graded after a config has been completed and “Done” is clicked.

For example:
If I have to start ospf and following my config, I realize that I made and error when I checked “show run” (i.e. incorrect area), but corrected the mis-config prior to clicking “Done”. Would I be penalized for the error even though it was corrected or are the sims graded on ALL commands entered?

Thank you!

MPR1,

From what I have been told by people at Cisco (at a Cisco Networkers Convention) the computer that grades the test looks for certain code - the right config or steps - PERIOD!

As long as that config or those steps are there it does not matter what else you did.

Just keep practicing so you do not have to worry about the sims - you do not want to spend too much time on them :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Cisco,
Do they also look for which commands are used for trouble-shooting and for verifying the config?

Thank you.

MPR1,

Once again we are only guessing because Cisco and the people who work on the CCNA exam - when we talked to them at Networkers were very carefull in what they discussed.

Bottomline - they are looking for a "right" answer for example - you and I go on the sim and they tell us the router is not doing something !

1) I do a "show run" and see that under RIP a network is not listed and I add the network - DONE

2) You do a "show IP route" and see that RIP is missing a network and add the network - DONE

From what they told us - the exam is looking for the added RIP network and when you do "router rip" and then "network xx.xx.xx.xx" where xx is the missing network - that is all that the exam wants - how you troubleshoot does not matter!

The key is fixing whatever it is that is wrong and move on to the next question!

E.A. Broda

I asked this in another thread, but I'll ask here too, because I think it is relavant:

Do you need to do a 'copy run start' to save your config changes to get credit? I believe I screwed that up on my test today.

From what I have seen you must do the "copy running-config startup-config" or the shorter "copy run start" to commit the config, but also it has been indicated to me that exitting the priviledge mode is also important. Meaning that you wouldn't just leave the router in a priviledge mode in real life. Treat it like a real router I have been told.

That's right---exit all the way down to user prompt.

Burt

Gharus,

As I have said in this forum several times - I had the experience of meeting one of the CCNA exam designers at Cisco Networkers several years ago.

We asked many questions but the most asked was about the sims - his advice was to treat the sim as a real router and do what you would do in the real world! He would NEVER say if you had to or not or how it would be graded - he just kept saying to do it as you would ......

My thoughts - if you make a change - got to save it and you NEVER leave a router logged in to privledged mode!

I have done 6 different sims on 3 different CCNA and CCNP exams and I have ALWAYS did the copy run start and I ALWAYS exited the router when I was done. Based on my final scores (all high passing) and the questions I KNOW I got wrong, I am very sure I did not loose any points on the sims!

I have seen other posts that say you DO NOT have to worry about it - but why chance it - just treat it like the real thing unless it tells you otherwise :)

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back