Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA - Path 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach38

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
Hello,
I'm currently studying for my CCNA and wanted to know which path should I focus on. CCDP, CCNP, CCSP, CCVP or CCNPWireless
I just want to focus on a path from entry to Professional or Expert. A friend told me to focus on Design/Security or Voice/Wireless.

What's your opinion?

I think there is value in any of the tracks, or even a combination of them. There is good foundation for all of them from the CCNP track, so I think that usually ends up being the starting point for most.

Thanks!
I live in NY and I didn't want to get into an area that's so common.

Are there any virtual router links out there? I'm using the TRAINSIGNAL training cd and I'm up to the part where its showing you some router commands?

this is the point where many of will tell you to pick up a couple of routers to practice with instead of a virtual router. Ciscoguy has the link to Wendell Odom's blog post on setting up labs and what equipment to look for.

You can use dynagen for practice as well, but will have to locate an ios image to use.

Concentrate on the CCNA first. After passing it, you will have a better idea what your passion is (routing and switching, security, design, wireless, voice, ultimate fighting, etc.).

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Have to agree with Burt... go through the CCNA and find your passion... personally, I prefer the Ultimate Fighting..

Actually, I am going the Voice route myself, but that is because I come from more of a telecom background. I have already completed the CCVP, and I can tell ya from experience... You need actual equipment to REALLY know what you are doing, just going through books is not enough. Plus I am going through the CCNP route now as well, found out going through the job hunting at the beginning of the year that you really do need to have the CCNP no matter what route you go down.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Thanks, Guys

For all your advice...I really appreciate it..This is definitely a good support forum...

You won't go wrong with R&S as a foundation. All other concentrations require a sound understanding of R&S. After that, voice or security or wireless depending on your specific interests. If you don't have gear different vendors have inexpensive rack time you can get. I've been using Proctor Labs lately for $25 per 8 hour session. They have 8 routers and 4 switches in their pods so you can do all sorts of weird scenarios. I also have gear at home but much of it is older so it doesn't run the newest IOS but it does plenty for CCNA/CCNP level work.

coach38,

Sorry guys, I have been busy with the end of the semester :)

I agree do your CCNA and worry about that, once you are done you will have a much better feel for what direstion you want to go!!!!

As for virtual labs - if you are even thinking about going past CCNA - you need to be thinking REAL CISCO ROUTERS AND SWITCHES

Here is the link to Wendell Odom's (Cisco author and CCIE) 9 part blog on setting up a home CCNA lab, he also has one for CCNP when you are ready!!!

Good luck !!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Burt.. Try this!

# tar xvzf Windows.tar.gz
# cd Windows
# ./configure
# make
# make install

And make sure you follow it with this!
#make uninstall

LoL

Coach,

A real lab is definitely the way to go but do supplement with GNS3!

(vid tuts plus good links)

HTH

B Haines
CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

You mean

# tar -xvzf Windows.tar.gz

(forgot the "-")

Plus, I use the BASH...I use the up arrow to repeat commands.

Plus, this is a Debian release, not UNIX...lol

/

Building dependency tree

ok, guys

i'm working on getting a lab together..Ciscoguy33 thanks for the link.

Stars?..

/

Building dependency tree

ok, guys

I'm ready to buy some hardware. Inexpensive hardware of course. Which routers should I look for on ebay to do my CCNA and CCNP?

One XM router, or a 1700 series or an 837---one that does SDM---plus two more 2600 series routers (preferred---I would also get maybe a 2503, cheap, for frame relay, along with a few DCE/DTE crossover cables, also cheap), and 3 2950 switches (preferred---you can get by with one of them being 2900XL, but the 2950 is much better---even a 12 port job).

3 switches and 3 routers, with some 1.536Mbps WICs, like the WIC-1T (cheap) and some DCE/DTE crossover cables.

2610=1 ethernet interface
2611=2 ethernet interfaces
2620=1 fastethernet interface
2621=2 fastethernet interfaces (preferred).

CiscoGuy33 (Gene) hopefully will chime in with Wendell Odom's page (or whomever) for a great lab setup...

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back