Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Passing Score? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPR1

Technical User
May 11, 2007
As I understand it, the passing score is 849/1000. But,
I've recently read on this forum that the actual passing score would be equivalent to 75/100 because you're awarded several hundred points at the beginning of the exam. Doesn't make much sense....any info??

Thank you!

I might have a very odd way of looking at the passing scores. The cut score maybe something like 850 out of 1000 points. Naturally you'd expect that to be 85%. The scale however is a little odd....the range is 300 to 1000. So then if you drop everything to start at 0 it's more like 550 out of 700 points which equals about 78%.

Seems really goofy, but I pulled out some of my old tests and reversed the math (the average of all the percentages) and it is only off by maybe 1%.

well this post has brightened my day, I've been bummed out about 80% practice test scores all morning, lol. yay!

Whenever I've taken practice tests or quizzes out of the books, I'm not satisfied until I score around 85% consistently. I want a little buffer between what I average and what the exam wants.

The score starts at 300 and goes to 1000. The cut score is 849 although in some exams you either get an 847 or an 860 so really you might need an 860.

Since there are 700 real points and you need 560 of those points it comes out to 80% exactly for the current exam. As point values change you might have an exam where you can get an 850 or 849 exactly which technically means a lower percentage score like 78%.

Passing Score is 849 no doubt on that. 85% minimum.

I think CCNP passing scores vary. CCNA is 849, but I am pretty sure CCNP is lower....maybe 804 or something.

I tend not to worry too much about what the passing score for any exam is. Whatever the passing score may be, doesn't change how hard I'm going to try when I'm in the exam room!

Below is an answer to a question on Cisco's Certifications Online Support page

"Exam simulation questions carry greater weight than typical multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank test questions in calculating a candidates' final exam score. At the end of the exam the overall score will be calculated and the candidate will be provided with a score report pinpointing areas of strength and weakness.

Exam scores are based on a point scaling system that is widely used in the industry. Your score can fall within a point scale of 300 to 1000 points. You are automatically awarded 300 points for beginning the test and can score up to 1000 points if you answer every question correctly on the exam. Please note that the specific number of points awarded to a given question varies on each exam."

Passing scores for exams do vary, the CCNP exams I have sat have all had different passing scores.

Graham M. CCNP

Absolutely, we all shouldn't worry about the passing score, it just gives you that nerve. I suggest just do it, stay focused, and it will happen. God knows I've screwed up twice thus far.

RCorrigan
Network+, (working on CCNA)

Graham,

Good post!

I always wonder why people are so concerned about the passing score or how many you can get wrong like that will affect how they study or how they do the exam :)

Thoughts from the test center:
Exam taker - "Hmmmm, I know I have missed 5 so far, I better get the rest right!"

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back