Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Lab Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk391

Technical User
Jun 13, 2007
GB
Hi, Im studing for my CCNA and have got to the point where I need to get my hands on some real kit. I have been offered the following- & anyone please give me some guidence on if this kit will be ideal or should I give it a miss.

2 x 2924-XL-EN Layer 2 Switch
2 x 2501 16/16 Router 12.3 IP Plus IOS (ethernet + dual serial)
1 x WIC-1T Serial interface for 2801 Router (I already have a 2801 router but no serial interface card)
2 x serial cables
3 x cat5 straight cables
3 x cat5 crossover cables
1 x console cable
4 x power cables
2 x training CDs
Delivery
60 day warranty

Wil this allow me to carry out all the test and labs for my CCNA? i.e Frame relay etc

Pass...I would get all the equipment separately. You would need (IMO) a 2503, a 2610XM, three Catalyst 2950's, two DCE/DTE serial cables, and two WIC-1T interface cards, along with a few crossover cables and a few straight-thru cables. You can get all of this for around $450-$600 on Ebay...how much were they wanting for this kit"
You need 3 switches (2950 preferrably, since they do RSTP) for STP and root bridge elections (debug to watch the messages, etc.), the 2503 to config as a frame-relay switch, the 2610XM for access to SDM.

Burt

Hi burtsbees,
I still at a early stage in my CCNA studies so do not understand all of the reply to sent ( I am at the frame relay Section) . The way that I see it at the moment (please current me if I am wrong), but I will be using 2501 router for frame relay testing, 2801 for SDM and to be used as a high end router ( by the way is the 2801 a high end router ?) and then the 2501 for vlans etc, would you advise me to drop the 2501 switches and buy 2950? to help to future proof my lab?

Cost of lab = £176 or $305 -

The 2500's won't do intervlan routing...and does the 2801 do SDM? If so, you're good in that regard.
The Cat 2924's are ok for CCNA, but they won't do rapid spanning-tree.

Burt

Hi Burt, to answer your question the 2801 router does have SDM. It has 4 spare slots to install interface cards into it. Can you explain to me what I will be using them for, & why I need 3 routers in this setup. I undertanding that I will need to have 2- so that I can test protocols between the two routers. Is this done by using the serial interface connections? What will the third router be used for?

Is ISDN on the CCNA exam? I have been doing some reading and I have learn that I may need a router with a BRI port if I want to test ISDN is this correct? Is the BRI port something which I can buy & install into the spare interface card slot on my 2801 router?

Is rapid spanning-tree on the CCNA exam and is it worth upgrading the lab to 2950 switch?

Any help would be useful

Thanks

RSTP I don't think is in the CCNA (been a few years for me), and a third router is for the second router connecting to a frame relay circuit, and routing across, and also for static routing to see how it works. Those are just 2 reasons off the top of my head.
To my knowledge, ISDN is no longer covered.

Burt

Thanks Burt, You have been a great help. I probadly need to carry out a little more research before I think about placing a order.

Thanks

Brian---if he gets a 2600, may as well get a 2620 or 2621, and even an xm---a 2611 won't do intervlan routing (10MBps ethernet). Well, with the right image it will, but I've heard that's got major bugs...IMHO.

Burt

Hum, I have 10 2610's in my rack that will run as a router on a stick for a dot1q trunk. I will check the IOS image. However to simulate a wan and most conditions these days you don't need intervlan routing.

That's true...when I took the CCNA most of it was switch stuff.

Burt

sk391,

If you are looking at buying a CCNA lab read this post at Network World by Wendell Odom, CCIE and Cisco author, he discusses and answers many of your questions on all the different routers and switches that will work for you -

Read it and learn - it will help you setup a lab that will work and you will also understand what you want to look for.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks all, alot more confident in the hardware now. Still need to read up though. What a minefield!!

sk391,

That is the best way to learn this stuff, put a lab together but research everything first, ask questions, "Google" stuff and you will learn sooo much about Cisco routers and switches.

I put my first lab together about 4 years ago - I knew just about everything their was to know about Cisco 2500 routers. Had a great lab, my 2nd lab is now made up of Cisco 3640s, 3620s and 2600XM routers and 2924-XL and 2950 switches. Take your time and read and learn about each piece of equipment, the link I listed above is a great source of information, he also has a great series on putting a CCNP lab together.

Also check out the Cisco Cerification forum here at Tek-Tips, lots of info about the CCNA, labs and getting ready for the exam.

Good luck!!

E.A. Broda

Thanks everyone, Any views on this setup.

1 * Serial Interface card for the 2801 router which I already have.

2* 2610 with serial interface cards
2* 2950 switches

Thanks

sk391,

I just checked Ebay and you can get a 2610 for about $50 and you can get a 2610XM for about $100 - I would go with a 2610XM because -

1) it is Fast Ethernet and the 2610 is 10baseT
2) you can load more DRAM and FLASH then the 2610
3) since you can load more FLASH you can put 12.4 IOS on it, 2610 maxs at 12.3 IOS
4) 2610XMs will do SDM which is tested on the CCNA now.

I think for just $50 more you would be better off to get the 2600XM router especially if you are looking down the road towards a CCNP lab!

I have a 2610 in my lab but it is my Frame Relay switch with 2 WIC 2Ts in it. I have 4 different routers running Frame Relay through it.

The 2 2950s will be great, but you really will want to have 3 switches and 3 routers for your lab.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

I agree---the 2610 will not do intervlan routing (which is HUGE with CCNA) unless you have the right IOS---I highly doubt anything from Ebay will come with this image. Many features in 12.4 are on the newer exams---get the xm!!!

Burt

Hi all, just been talking to the guy who is selling the CCNA lab which I spec'ed up in the first post. What we have come up with is to upgrade the switches from 2924 to a couple of 2950 (because that is what is used in the CCNa exam) and then keep the 2501's. The reason behind this is that the higher spec'ed router ( 2801 ) will do the InterVlan routing so I can still test the protocol.

It allows me to test all topics in the CCNA & also help keeps the cost down.

thoughts????

sk391,

Just make sure you check the prices he is charging, 2501s have very limited use any longer since the IOSs they use are no longer the "latest-greatest"!! Yes, they will work to test many of the routing protocols you will see on CCNA but they will have limits!!

You have never said if your plans include CCNP, if so you will be buying new routers to replace the 2500s if and when you move on :-(

Good luck, just check your prices with several places!!

E.A. Broda

Tell him to throw in three 2950's, and you'll give him $325.
You need 3 switches.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back