Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA IP Subnetting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiefmer

MIS
May 19, 2000
US
Subnetting and I do not get a long very well. I am studying to take the CCNA exam and was curious if anyone can tell me how much subnetting is on the exam? Is it a lot or just a little? I know subnetting is a good thing to know, but they have calculators out there now for this type of thing.

Thanks,
Kiefmer

I remember seeing a couple of questions on the exam with that subject. Like 4 or 5 maybe. But trust me, subnetting is one of the major subject that you need to know out in the field. Don't over look it. Subnetting is not just seperating segments, you need to know this stuff in routing, vlans, segmentation, switching and a lot more. Don't just rely on a calculator, rely on your skills.

People who I have spoken to say you need to be about to answer subnet questions in your head in 45 secs, so learn it well.

Thank you all for your comments. I know I need to learn it. The only thing is that I don't use it very often in my job (it is usually our design group), so I forget it and then have to relearn it. It just drives me crazy. But I will learn it somehow.

Thanks again.

kiefmer,

I took the CCNA last July at Networkers in New Orleans and had about 10-11 questions that had something to do with subnetting.

As was said above, subnetting is a very important fundamental for networking.

Try the site -

I also like the chapter from the Sybex CCNA Study Guide on subnetting - I have had more students tell me that one chapter helped them understand it.

One of the guys from our school failed the CCNA Monday and he said that he had at least 7 or 8 that had something to do with subnetting. He also said he had lots of show commands, examples of output and what show command it was from or which show command will give you ......

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Subnetting is difficult because it is taught mathematically by most instructors. I prefer to teach with pattern matching which makes more sense to people. Binary has distinct doubling patterns. For example, with one bit I have two combinations. Each bit added doubles the combinations I can work with. In the context of subnetting, all I'm doing is deciding how many bits I will use to identify either my host blocks or the number of networks I need. You can count these out on your fingers very quickly. (BTW fingers are allowd on the exam while calculators are not.)

The secret to the addressing is to create a subnet mask that identifies to the network devices the block sizes you need given some starting point which is usually the classful address.

We are all used to cutting up big things and making them smaller or aggregating small things to make something larger. That is all we are doing with network addressing. The classic patterns we see with cutting up a pizza are the exact patterns we see with network addressing. For instance, given a whole pizza (I use a round one), how can I cut it up to serve a certain number of people if I want everyone to have the same size piece and I need everyone to have at least one piece so I may have some leftovers? Let's say I have 6 people. I cut the pizza in half (2 equal size pieces), then half again (4 pieces), then half again (8 pieces) what have I done? I still have the original pizza, but it is "subnetted" to fit my needs. I can keep cutting the pizze up, but all the pieces must be the same size and I may get to a point that the pieces are so small that my guests don't get enough to eat.

With network addressing we use the subnet mask to cut up the address space. Each bit that is turned on (1) in the mask tells the network boxes that bit identifies part of the network. Each bit that is off (0) in the mask identifies hosts. Network boxes (routers) need to move traffic from one network to another so the subnet mask gives the information necessary for that decision.

So how do I chop up my address space? Some of it is already done with Class A, Class B, and Class C. For example, a Class C mask is written 255.255.255.0 which in binary looks like 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000. Network devices read this as "use the first 24 bits in the address you've received to identify the network you're looking for". We can push the bit boundary right or left just by modifying the mask. Every bit moved to the right doubles the number of networks but they are only have the original size (think pizza slices). Every bit moved to the left halves the number of networks but makes them bigger (super pizzas).

This is just how I approach subnetting with people. It usually takes about 2 hours of class time, but I have found people who've thrashed with subnetting for years finally have the light turn on with patterns. Subnetting is just taking big address space and making is smaller (my kids do this with nesting blocks all the time!) or taking small address space and combining it into bigger space (summarizing).

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back