Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ccna/ios availability 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnyab

Technical User
May 8, 2010
IE
Hi...new to the forum.

Just looking for some info regarding the various IOSs (new to this stuff).
I am thinking of buying some equipment second hand but confused as to the availability of the OSs for the different devices.
Really what I want to know is are the Operating Systems "available", I have looked at Cisco's website and it seems I have to have licences up the kazoo to learn this stuff/operate their equipment!
Basically do I need to buy new routers/switches to get the software or what?
Help...and thanks.

email me

timandlizh <at> <gmail> <dot> <com>

I will give you some documentation and good advice.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

donnyab,

First - contact Burt as listed above - he has lots of information to share, lots of it better discussed in an email ....

And for anyone else reading along - yes you must have a Cisco "Smartnet" account to have access to the different Cisco IOSs from Cisco and to be "legal", Cisco DOES NOT provide IOSs for study or lab use.

There are other ways of getting the latest and greatest IOS - one is to watch what you buy on EBay and see what it comes with - many come with the latest/greatest IOS - these may or may not be legal, you would need to read all the transfer info etc. at Cisco. But for lab use and not for production - I doubt Cisco will be knocking your door down :)

You do need to UNDERSTAND that Cisco SELLS the IOS with the hardware and then you have access to new or different IOSs by maintaining a Smartnet account but there are other ways to get an IOS for lab use - just be aware it my not be LEGAL - so NEVER use one of these in a production system ..........

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Although if anyone did buy a new router with smartfart on it, they could open a TAC every time something in their lab didn't work, and they'd have a 20 year quad CCIE answering their questions...lol

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back