Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Certification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBee19

Technical User
Oct 6, 2010
CA
Hello,

I am thinking of studying for and eventually obtaining CCNA. I have tried to read into it and I am a little confused when I come to certain websites, etc.

In order to get CCNA Certification, how many tests do I exactly need to pass? I was looking on Cisco's website, and it says you can take either ONE test or TWO tests. Obviously two would break it down a little bit but would cost more I believe.

When I was back in College (2005), I remember my instructor telling us CCNA was a 3 part test.

If I wanted to have CCNA, do I really only have to pass the one TEST (or TWO) which is only, according to Cisco, 45 - 55 questions?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Short answer is yes. The one test is 45-55, the two test is a total of 80-100 questions. Always consider Cisco's website to be the source of truth as far as the exam information. Use the syllabus from their website as a guide while studying.

Lot's of opinions on whether or not to do the 1 test, or take the 2 test path. 1 test is less questions overall, but a broader range of topics included in that single test.

2 tests, obviously information is spread out more, but there used to be (would need to verify this) a cost difference. Paying for 2 tests over 1. Don't know if the pricing has changed on the single test, at one point I thought it had, but I might have it confused.

Hope this helps, keep asking the questions, and good luck

Thanks lerdalt. I checked and confirmed that the 1 test is $250USD and the 2 tests is $125USD each, so it really doesn't matter.

I currently have A+ and am studying for Network+. I think after this, I may look toward MCSA, but as I am new to this forum (recommended by my boss) and noticed a lot of people say CCNA can really make a difference when applying to a job. Is this true?

It depends where you want to go. If you have an interest in furthering a career in networking specifically then a CCNA is a must have as a basic qualification imo.

If you are more into the Windows stuff then MCPs/MCSA/MCSE are far more important and the CCNA is a just a nice to have imo.

As Cisco likes to change the requirements often, please check their website as to what is current. I believe that you can take one composite exam, or two exams, ICND1 and ICND2. Basically, the composite does cover a broader amount of material on one test, but, you may get to "miss" some of the more obscure details that you might have to know when you take two exams.

On the other hand, looking at it negatively, if you fail one of the smaller exams, you've lost less money than if you fail the composite exam. First time I took the exam, I went the two exam route. I think that was good, but next time I renew, I'll just take the one exam.

I would say that if you want to get into networking, then CCNA is a really good cert to have. If you check with CertMag's website, you will see that Cisco CCNA's are consistently paid more than Microsoft MCSE's. I've found that job postings are more likely to mention CCNA than most other certs for general job postings. If you're looking for something specific, though, you might want that cert. I also see job postings for Java programmers a lot, and for VMware certs or experience. Good luck.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

One of the best CCNA training programs is Cisco's own Cisco Network Academy Program. It is offered in high schools, community colleges, universities and adult training centers all across the world.

It is taught in 4 classes (for the CCNA) and can take from 6 months to a year but you learn a lot more than just what you need for the exam, you learn WHAT CISCO THINKS A CCNA SHOULD KNOW !!!!!

You can read more at
5 day boot camps are for those that already have a very strong background in Cisco and networking and just need what it takes to pass the exam.

Many of these boot camps just teach the exam, this will NOT HELP YOU if you do not already have a strong background in Cisco and networking .

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

What are your thoughts on the self study method? I have considered this cert as well, to compliment my IT degree and CompTIA certs. I would rather gather the study materials and the hardware and run with it.

Whats your take?

I have done self-study in the past and been successful. Being in a remote area, it was my only option for a while, unless I was willing to get a hotel room for a week and be off work for a week.

For me, I get a lot more out of it if I do it on my own. I'm not against classes, everyone has a different way of learning.

Having said that, I made better scores when I took a class.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

RPearson,

Self study will work, get at least 2 books, the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammel and one of the Cisco Press books. Reading 2 DIFFERENT sources of information will help you - one book may not explain it well where the other one will, just make sure one of the books is Todd Lammel's book :)

Read this blog by Wedell Odom CCIE at Networkworld about setting up a home CCNA lab and then DO IT !!!!!!

Do hands on labs and run every command talked about in the books - do this again and again and again ........ the CCNA is about troubleshooting - know the routers and switches like the back of your hand!! Just make sure you have the exam blueprint from Cisco so you know exactly WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW !!!

Use Google to research things you do not understand, you will find vast amounts of details, web pages, forums and videos on almost any subject.

Go to and SEE what they have up there about the exam as well as the forums for learning!!!!

Google "CCNA forum" or "Cisco forum" and check out the different dicussions on the subject of CCNA.

Ask questions here when you need more help AFTER having tried to find the answer in Google :)

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK !!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have to second CiscoGuy33's suggested books. I studied both Todd Lammel's and the Cisco Press CCNA guides and had no trouble passing. Of course it helped to have access to a lab (two routers, three switches.)

Being able to practice the concepts from the books really drove home the material.

All,

Stars for you. Thanks for the valuable insight now and in the future.

Mr. Bee...

Any relation to a Ms. Burtbees?

(Yes, I know I just started something Tim)

Billy Haines
CISSP Associate, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

@maczen - do you use an Apple or have any in your enterprise?

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

@iolair

I have used Apple in the past... I ran OSX from 10.1 to 10.3 (Panther) but did not really like the security aspects of the system at the time despite it's BSD implementation... funny thing is that a lot has changed regarding OSX and security from 10.4 up.. Just Google TrustedBSD!

I like OpenBSD and run it on my Dell Mini.. I also own a Dell XPS laptop and am moving from Linux to Unix (or a hybrid) on it next week. Was going to run OpenBSD on it as well but thinking of running something different for the learning experience... Either:

NetBSD
FreeBSD
Gentoo/OpenBSD
Gentoo/FreeBSD
or
I may dabble with Hardened Gentoo (google Gentoo hardened)

I have run several various OS's in the past (talking about home not work) to include some rolling release distros such as Gentoo and Arch (I really love Arch but refuse to use it until they work out the lack of signed packages), as well as some binary installs to include Redhat, Fedora, Suse, OpenSuse, OpenSolaris (I will play with Illumos when they finally get a release going) and Debian amongst others.

Of course one of my favorite OS's is IOS (and to some extent CatOS) ;)

But hands down, my favorite "i386" OS is OpenBSD!

Check out this article by IBM about OpenBSD... This says a lot because IBM has their own Unix (AIS) that is quite secure albeit proprietary.

Billy Haines
CISSP Associate, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Thanks, I will. I have used SuSE and Red Hat. I got certified on Solaris, but to me, it's really a server OS, not a desktop OS. I did try FreeBSD, but it was years ago. At the time, though, I did like it.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back