Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA book: Sybex or CISCO press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsboi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
IT
Hi!

I am wondering which is the best between:

1. Cisco Press - Self Study guide (Wendel Odom) -6th

2. Sybex CCNA study guide (Todd Lammle) - 4th

What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

Robert

From what I hear, both books have been praised and somewhat criticized.

If you just want to pass the test - Choose Sybex
Sybex will give more hint on what will be on the actual exam.

However, if you want to be knowledgeable - Choose Cisco
Cisco will break the material down inside and out.

I, personally have only read Cisco. There are so many materials to cover. I failed few times before I passed. But now, I am much more knowledgeable than I thought I was going to be. :)

Microbyte
[medal][medal][medal][medal]

Cisco Press.

Uses them all the way through to my CCNP cert.

Thank you very much guys!!
Robert

i agree with microbyte. i had both for the 607 exam, and found the cisco book to be much more encompassing. it seemed to stress actually knowing the material inside and out, and how it related to other things. the sybex book will get you to pass the test, but that's it.

I've used both. Sybex tries to make the material more interesting. Cisco has all the information within their books. The main difference is read the CisoPress books after taking the exam and your afternoon will be..."That was exactly on the exam, alright I got it right, Nope got that one wrong, etc..." Cisco Exam = CiscoPress books, Questions are pulled from the books for the exams especially for the CCNA. Once you start pursuing the higher levels of Cisco Certs, more information will be needed from different sources. RFCs, White papaers, CCO, etc...This happens so Cisco can test your knowledge on a system and not just take the exam as found inside the published book.

thek25
CCNP, CISSP in progress...

look don't cheap out.
THE HARD WAY THE ONLY WAY
cisco press gets u a lil above the edge so u can
get it thrusted into ur matter .
use cisco if u really wanna be a cisco chap.
wendel odom the best for ccna . todd ? i don't know, i do not deny but I DO NOT BELIEVE He's up to cisco press guys

I used the Sybex book for my CCNA preparation and passed it on the second attempt. I messed up a simulation on the first time round and missed by something like five points. I'm now working on my CCNP and am using only Cisco Press books.

Totally go with Odom CiscoPress for CCNA
Some of CiscoPress books for CCNP are good too but no one is a patch on Odom.

Free IT practice exams:

Cisco- why? because if you read the semester series of books you will find alot of the questions look very close to what is in the books. Same thing for the network layouts for some of the questions. Read the glossary!! you will see these words again!! Semester 5 and 6 did this alot.

I found that while Sybex had just enough material to be usable, they were useless for reference. The Cisco books are detailed enough to be kept on the shelf for reference even now.

Just my 3 cents worth :)

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

For my money, the Cisco books have the depth you need to understand the topic (as opposed to just pass it). Although not exactly the same thing, I constantly refer to my manuals from the ICND course I did 4 years ago.

Just so long as you can stay awake while reading them!

Graham

Agree with wybnormal. Had the Cisco books for the course. Still use them nearly every day for reference in my job.

I concur with the majority here. Cisco Press may appear to give you more information than you need to know in order to pass the exam...BUT, they give you the info you need in order to understand the topics. That, coupled with hands-on experience is invaluable.

I've historically used the Cisco Press titles first, and read them cover to cover (even if some topics are fuzzy). Then I go back through and dig in to the fuzzy parts. After I feel that I have a working knowledge of the topics I need to know, I like to use the Exam Cram series to make sure I've hit the high spots before I test. (Working with as many sims and "live" routers/switches as I can along the way.)

IMHO, you can't go wrong with anything by Odom. HTH.
--doug

Sybex 3rd edition was the way to go for the old CCNA test. But for the new test (sybex 4th edition) I am not so sure. A lot of people were disappointed with the 4th edition. If you do choose Sybex you will definetly need to also choose other sources.

Wolverine
Compuware Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back