Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA 607: One confused soul 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshtray

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2002
US
Hi All!

I am planning to go for my CCNA exam soon (dont know how soon). I have just started studying for it and have a grasp for most concepts. I have a computer engg. backgroud which has helped me a bit but I need some help regarding this issue:

I usually end up spending way to much and use too little. I have books for MCSE and A+ which I have never even used. I have decided to go for CCNA but need to know if there are 1 or 2 books I can buy (I already have 1), read and study thoroughly which will guarantee (ummm .. or even greatly enhance) my chances of passing. If there are any sites which have stuff on this other than tek-tips.com itself which can help me. I pretty much need direction in what way to approach the studying. Any guidance will be greatly apprecaiated.

akshtray

p.s: I am currently using the book:
Introduction to Cisco Router Configuration
Edited by Laura Chappell

I LOVE the book "Building Scalable Cisco Networks". It is by Cisco Press. And YES, I know it is a CCNP book, but if you can get through it, you should have no problem passing the CCNA.
signature-tektips.gif

I always recommend a Cisco Press Exam Certification Guide for any Cisco exam. At least as a final preparation. As for web sites, a search on yahoo or google will keep you busy as long as your interest holds. has more white papers, guides, etc. on all of the relevant technologies than you could ever read in a lifetime.

Also guys .. I will try getting any of these books .. thanks for your advice .. also .. if you can tell me as to how important hands on experience is for this exam .. other than the book(s) where can i get this experience from and all .. I will really appreciate it . .

thanks..

akshtray

I'm also going to say the Cisco Press books. I've used Exam Cram and others for other certs (MCSE, CNE, etc), but for Cisco certs, the Cisco Press have really good info that other books might not have.

For CCNA, hands on experience will definitely help, but it's not really required. It's mostly knowledge based on networking fundamentals, OSI, etc. Of course, technically, you can take any test just on memorization. The CCNP tests really benefit from hands on, but those also can be passed just by studying.

The hands on will help your studies go easier, but it's not required. What really matters is taking the information learned and applying it on the job. That's what determines if you're worth the piece of paper or not.

Good luck. It sounds like you'll do just fine.

thanks everyone .. especially bierhunter .. i have ordered the books ...

Cisco CCNA Exam #640-607 Certification Guide by Wendell Odom

and

Building Scalable Cisco Networks by Diane Teare, Paquet Catherine

both by the Cisco Press.

Plan to study the 640-607 first and then the other one. Thanks a lot.

Akshtray

Those two books should insure that you pass the CCNA
exam (640-607), my co-worker is studying for his
640-607 exam as I am writing this. He also downloaded
the full exam version for the 640-607 from boson.com,
and is using that to prep as well. I expect him to
easily pass the exam. The BSCN book is geared towards
CCNP Routing, but will cover some concepts which may
be useful on the CCNA exam

I applaud your efforts to become certified. I passed the CCNA this spring. It is a moderately difficult exam. Testout has a study cd that is very helpful. Be prepared to configure routers in a simulation environment. The cisco cert site has a example of what this will look like. Much of the exam is not just multiple choice. You must be able to apply your knowledge to scenarios. Out of 30 in my class 6 of us passed first try. Know your cable colors and know which cables to use in which situation. Good Luck. Roger

Thanks all ..

I really appreciate all the advice you have given me. I am almost done with one of my books .. and I do understand everything that I have read. It feels good that I understand the stuff that I am reading. However, there is one thing that I am confused about. Other than the THEORY that I am learning from the books what else do I need to do. From your advice I make out that practical experience helps but is not required for this exam. However what kind of simulation would help me? What do I expect in the simulation in the exams etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Akshtray

Hi,when i passed the CCNA test i saw that the questions with simulators was only 4.You might buy the "Cisco CCNA Exam #640-607 Flash Card Practice Kit"with ISBN:1587200481.
It is really helpfull cause you can see the spirit of the questions.I had to face with 3 troubleshooting senarios and 1 to give 3 different kind of passwords.The experience in routing helps alot, although the labs are easy to answer. Well that is all i had to say and i hope you will pass the exam and talk for CCNP books and certification. (i am reading that stuff now and these are ... oh my head!!

akshay,

The CD which comes with Wendell Odom has a good Simulation Test in it.An excellent one indeed. Its present in the Practice Exam Session. Its in the Test section. Check it out.The book by Sybex is also good.

--Hari--

Thanks once more ..

I will be done with my first book today and will get on the Wendell Odom book starting from tomorrow. However, how do I know I am ready for the exam. I mean .. yes .. I will have read the two books .. and will be sound in theory .. but what would be the best way to test myself and know that I am ready ..

Thanks once more . .

Akshtray

Yes,

But the site from which you provided me with the link for:
is pricey and needs around 80-100 dollars. However, I think I get the general idea about taking a test to increase my confidence. I might go for the Boson ones as they seem to be pretty popular. One thing about some tests though is that they are too hard and cause the reverse effect of decreasing rather than increasing confidence. Thats why I am looking for some good recommendations for the tests.

Akshtray

I think it's been said that CCNA is the one Cisco exam you can pass with no practical experience. I did a week's course which had you sitting in front of a router and a switch and passed my CCNA on the 2nd try with no other practical experience. If you can't get hands-on experience, try getting a good feel for the commands that you have to type in.

The new cisco exam which is due out in Fall of 2003
will be MUCH harder. A person will have to know
everything covered on the current 607 exam plus the
following things:

OSPF (Single Area)
EIGRP (improvement to IGRP)
VLSM/Route Summarization
more WAN stuff (FR/ISDN/etc)

The above items are part of CCNP routing and remote
access (though NOT nearly as in depth). I know that
the netacads have been working to get the instructors
up to speed on this material (CCNA level).

yowza!

Hi

I was planning to take my exam in the next 2 months so I guess I wont be affected by this. But anyway .. I was wondering how long does it take to get an exam date. I mean if I wanted to give an exam next week (theoretically)would it be possible or are there fixed dates. Basically, what I need to know is on an average how long does it take to get an exam date?

Thanks

Akshtray

Hi

I was planning to take my exam in the next 2 months so I guess I wont be affected by this. But anyway .. I was wondering how long does it take to get an exam date. I mean if I wanted to give an exam next week (theoretically)would it be possible or are there fixed dates. Basically, what I need to know is on an average how long does it take to get an exam date?

Thanks

Akshtray

In mid to large size cities with more than one test center, it's usually possible to schedule the day prior. I imagine in smaller locations it might be a little more congested. I've rarely been refused the test date of my choice.

thanks svermill ..

thats cool .. i am in Stamford, CT .. 1 hr. from NY so i figure if i schedule a test in NY I should be able to get it pretty quick right??

akshtray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back