Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCMS Backup error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trin14

Technical User
Mar 8, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Here's the problem: When I am attempting to run a CCMS backup - it will always fail starting the SQL backup server service.

I am assuming that this is indicating that the Sybase_BCKserver... Service is not running (which it isn’t).

Is there anything that I have to be aware of I start this service?

Any advice?

Thanks again!

Kamal

That service requires the Logon as to be set to the NGENSYS account. On the server go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Once in the Services find the Sybase BCKServer... service. Double click on that and click on the Log On Tab. Make sure that that the Log on as: is set to This Account and then in the account box you should have .\ngensys. Enter the password for that account also in the password box. If you don't know that password you can reset it in the Local Users and groups option in the Computer Management tool.(Also make sure that that account isn't disabled)

Thanks for the update. I'm actually using a different account. I did get the back up to work - it was failing because the Sybase_BCKserver... service was not initialized.

I'm running Call Pilot 201i with software ver 2.01.27 (NT4)

I have local access to call pilot console and have the ability to change the NGenSys password through the usermanger for domains, from the NT OS.

My quesiton; Is there any chance that this could cause problems with the call pilot software? I cant do this through the Configuration Wizzard becase I don't know the old password. Has anyone actually done this from the NT4 OS?

The only reason I need to know the password is so that I can setup a network backup device. The help for this says that you need to create a NGenSys user (on the remote machine) with the same password as the call pilot. I've tried creating wide open shares and it doesn't work. I think it's deliberately designed for security reasons.

Thanks Todd

P.S The __ngen! doesn't work.

I'm using CP 3 and I set up a new account. I did not use any of the standard nortel accounts.

Just make sure the same local account (username and password) exists on the machine that you are backing CP up to.

I tried creating a new account on the NT 4.0 call pilot, added it to all groups (apparently Backup Operators is supposed to be the one) repeated the same procedure on the remote box, created a wide open share (NTFS and share permissions) and it still didn’t work.

I was just speaking with my Bell tech and he said that they made some changes in later versions of Call Pilot, specifically around this.

At this point we’ve tried everything except actually using the NGenSys password. I think this is the next step. I’ll post the results.

Except from the help file:

What you need before you can configure a remote backup disk
• administrator access to the remote file server to configure a share for access by CallPilot
• the password of the NGenSys account on the CallPilot server
If the remote share already exists, you only need the computer name of the remote server and the (share name) on it.
To add NGensys as a local user
1. Log on to the remote file server as an administrator.
2. Add NGenSys as a local user in Username.
• Full Name and Description fields are blank.
• Enter and confirm Password.
• Disable (leave blank) User Must Change Password at Next Logon, User Cannot Change Password, and Account Disabled.
• Enable Password Never Expires.
To create and share a folder
1. Create a shared directory for the remote disk backups in the Add Users and Groups window.
2. Grant Full Control access to NGenSys in Type of Access. Ensure that only NGenSys has access to the shared directory.
For specific instructions that apply to the Windows operating system you are using, refer to your Windows online Help.
To add a new backup device
System > Backup/Restore
1. In the Select a task list, click Maintain and configure backup devices.
2. Click Add Device....
3. Type a descriptive device name.
4. Type the path to the remote backup device, using the following format: \\computername\sharename.
5. Click Save.

Backups to a remote disk drive
The network must be configured to allow backups to be performed to a remote disk drive on a Windows 98/NT/2000 remote file server.

CallPilot does not support backups to local disks or remote disks on computers running Windows 95.

For maximum security, restrict all access to the backup device to CallPilot Manager.

I finally figured this out:

1.Create a user from the Call pilot OS that has administrator rights (backup operator rights may work)

2. Make sure that user remains logged into the call pilot server. If you don't leave the user logged on the backup will fail (this messed me right up).

3. Create the identical user and password on the remote machine. Make sure to set the passwords on both to never expire. The remote user need only be in the users group on the remote machine.

5. Create a share on the remote machine and assign the new local user full control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back