Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCM downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkirner

Technical User
May 20, 2009
US
I have a real confusing problem. I have a current install of publisher and subscriber. The customer ordered an additional subscriber, however, the software he ordered with it is 6.1.3. His current cluster is at 6.1.2. I obtained a 6.1.2 iso image but cannot figure out how to downgrade from 6.1.3.

Help, please.

you can't. just reinstall the 6.1.2 version sincew the server has t obe on the network when that happens so it can communicate with the pub.
I've never seen the server come preinstalled with software.

Thanks,however, The customer no longer has the 6.1.2 disks. I also believe the customer loaded 6.1.3 from disk prior to me getting involved. Would opening a TAC case help my cause?

They will tell you the same thing I am sure of it.
Your other option is to upgrade to 6.1.3 the rest of the cluster.
I thought you said that you have the 6.1.2 iso image already.

If not that's where tac can help. If they have a valid contract they will post the 6.1.2 image on an FTP site for you.

Downgrading is not an option however.

I have the 6.1.2 ISO image but cannot figure out how to load it on the 6.1.3 loaded server.

Did you try rebooting the server with the DVD in it?

Assuming the 6.1.2 ISO is the right image, you can burn it to DVD and boot off of it from the new server. From there, it can reformat the drives and install a fresh copy of 6.1.2 on the server. Keep in mind that in order for a sub to join a cluster, it must match the cluster version exactly. Fortunately during the installation from the DVD, you can add a patch to bring it up to the exact version. So if the ISO is of 5.1.2.1000 and your cluster is running 5.1.2.2000, you can point the installer to the .2000 installer (from a FTP/SFTP network location) to upgrade it before it attempts to join the cluster. However, if your ISO file is of a slightly higher version of the cluster, it won't work and you'll have to upgrade the cluster first.

I leaned this the hard way. I was running a ES patch that I unfortunately deleted a few months ago. I then had a sub die and had to be rebuilt. Unfortunately I didn't have the ES patch to add onto the installer and wasn't able to get the server to match the cluster (TAC wouldn't provide a copy of that exact ES patch either). So I ended up having to upgrade the whole cluster to a slightly higher version and use the same upgrade patch on the sub during reinstallation to get it to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back