Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CBT Nuggets 4 CCNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onoski

MIS
Sep 1, 2004
GB
Hi All,

This is really a question as to wheather CBT Nugget is a good vice to learning towards attaining CCNA. I have read Wendy Odell ccna press book back to back and currently reading an ebook by syngress.

Please, any info if you had used cbt nugget for ccna as preparation or towards hands on would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year in advance and keep on keeping on even if it sometimes looks bleak.

onoski,

I have used CBT Nuggets for Net +, CCNA and part of CCNP - it is GREAT to watch the videos when I get tired of reading.

You can go to and try many of the videos for FREE to see if they are what you are expecting. I think they are very well done!

For the CCNA I have always told my students to read 2 books - a Cisco Press book and the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L. ( I think it is up to the 5th edition now)- the Cisco Press gives you great detail for being a CCNA and the Sybex book tends to give you just what you need to pass the exam - between the 2 most should be very ready!

I also suggest doing "hands on" labs with real Cisco routers and switches - if you can do nothing else a good sim like the one from Boson is the next best thing!

The videos from CBT Nuggets tends to round it out - I can read things a dozen times and not get it - but listen to a video explain it once with drawings on the white board and it becomes clear as glass.

With this approach a person should be able to self study for any Cisco exam.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Take the exam in parts. The Intro exam is roughly 42 questions and focuses primarily on subnetting, basic routing configuration and some switching. Contrary to some peoples's opinon's, the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L, will not fully prepare you for the full 640-801, as there is no worthwhile labs for rstp, frame-relay or isdn configuration and practice. Get Cisco's Intro and ICND books.

Thanks for the feedback FWHATER, I am actually preparing myself to go for the 640-801. I currently have boson network sim as well so think just need to go for it sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back