Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cause of modem woes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
I have an old Compaq Armada E500 laptop.

The internal modem doesn't work (nothing at all happens) and I cannot get a USB plug in one to work either (there's a lot of noisy tones but no connection).

The battery doesn't charge anymore, but taking it out and running it on the mains doesn't cure the noise. The laptop usually runs on the mains as it's does go on the road.

Could the cause be anything to do with the fact that every time you start it up, it emits a loud crackling sound for a few seconds ? Do I need to worry about this ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jay

Can you determine if the "crackling sound" is coming out of the speakers, (try turning volume down etc), or if it is a physical noise caused by something arcing inside? If the latter, then I would get expert attention to it right away, as this could be a hazard resulting in serious damage, fire, etc.

The USB device may be operating system dependant - you didn't say what the machine was running...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back