Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATV Distribution Resources 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2004
US
Anyone know of good CATV distribution resources on the web?

While searching I can only find good wiring tutorials for home use. I need resources for installing CATV in a corporate environment.

How big? (number of drops, longest run)

Four Wiring Closets, 55 Rooms, Some individual runs over 300'

Cofeeadict-

Try atxnetworks.com. There is a section with white papers and one pdf file about CATV/MATV design fundamentals. It may take reading it through more than once for some of the concepts to really take hold. If you have the ability, go to a seminar by a manufacturer. I attended a 2-day Blonder-Tongue educational seminar that was very helpful and hands-on.

Randy

At that size you are in-between a simple system and needing professional help.

Here is a guide for designing a "home-run" type system:

Here is a guide for a more complex "tap" type system:

Most vendors of RF equipment offer design services to assist you in spending money on their products.

Here are some links:

I owned a MATV company back in the 70's and 80's that installed and maintained exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Then when cable took over we designed and built many miles of CATV plant for cable companies so I know of what I speak.

About all I can say is that you really need a pro to handle this, you are over your head. If all you have is an IT background this is another world to you. You are going to need much more than a basic knowledge and I have never found a resource that will give you much more. Training and experience is the only way to accomplish this.

In addition you are going to need test equipment and tools and know how to use them. Sorry, but I think you will be wasting your employers time and money if you attempt this yourself (or your employer is foolish or cheap to assume this can be done in house by untrained and inexperienced people).

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back