Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Category 5 Networking problems (Can't see each other)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallm

Programmer
Jun 11, 2000
US
I'm setting up a network with two computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;The computers can find themselves just not each other.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have an Accton Cheetahub 3004E (4 port 10/100), both computers have d-link 10/100 Fast Ethernet NICs.&nbsp;&nbsp;The category five wire was purchased from Radio Shack (CMR-00005/4 BRAND-REM-2 CSA TYPE CMG & (UL) TYPE CMR 75C 4PR 24AWG ALSO VERIFIED (UL) CATEGORY 5).&nbsp;&nbsp;One wire is about 90 feet and the other is about two.&nbsp;&nbsp;I made sure that I spliced the wires the same on each end and the continuity tester shows that at least that is correct.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a certain order in which these wires need to be spliced.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was always told it really didn't matter as long as I spliced the other end the same.<br><br>I'm using Windows 98 on one computer and Windows 98 SE on the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just running Netbeui, IPX, and TCP-IP.&nbsp;&nbsp;The hub lights up correctly the computers just can't find each other.&nbsp;&nbsp;The ethernet cards came with diagnostic software it passes the i/o register and the cable connection.&nbsp;&nbsp;It fails the loop-back test (whatever that is).&nbsp;&nbsp;When I try to use the software to test across the network it never finds the other computer.

They way I connect to a LAN is via TCP/IP, i remove the NetBeui and IPX protocols and configure the TCP. My configuration is as follows:<br>IP address: 200.1.1.1 (for the other PC it will be 200.1.1.2)<br>Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0<br>Gateway: 200.1.1.1 (same on both)<br>DNS: 200.1.1.1 (same on both)<br>Host: The name of your computer. <br>Domain: Some other name. (same on both)<br><br>You also have to enable file and print sharing.<br><br>Remember the IP, DNS and Gateway addresses are in your case any secuence of numbers, since you're not connected to a LAN with routers, bridges, internet access, firewalls and all that stuff.

A slight suggestion... I would check your documentation for your ethernet cards ... usually a loopback test failure from diagnostics on an ethernet card suggests a failed card and that could be causing the problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Generally speaking any particular card diagnostics program operates independently - i.e. whether you have cable plugged in or not - if any part of the diagnostics fails I would suggest contacting the vendor or manufacturer for replacement or further steps to resolve.) You might try a different card - as this could be a problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Clivo suggested using the 568B standard for your wiring, and I concur - but just in general if you set your cables up exactly the same you should be ok.<br><br>AvaGadro<br><A HREF="mailto:ddehaan2@earthlink.net">ddehaan2@earthlink.net</A><br><br>

I appreciate all of your help.&nbsp;&nbsp;The TCP/IP protocol didn't fix my problem, but I went ahead and switched to it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll probably add IPX to it later for games.&nbsp;&nbsp;I changed the wires to 568B and that fixed it.&nbsp;&nbsp;The short cable still worked being wired straight, but the long one wouldn't make it.<br><br>Thanks

Make sure there are no power cables within a foot of the network cable. I can consistently demonstrate---by laying a power cord (one that's in use) on top of and parallel to the network cable---that the network neighborhood will disappear with such interference.<br><br>If the twisted pair was ever kinked, it might introduce enough resistance on lengthy runs to not allow 100Mbps.<br><br>An indication of the sensitivity of 100Mbps is that it was thought to be not physically possible on twisted pair just 10 years ago.

Be careful. I have found that with 10BT the pairing orders did not matter regardless of the length of the run. With 100 however, the cabling must be done to spec or IT WILL NOT WORK ON LONG RUNS!!! <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

If none of the above suggestions work, check your network neighborhood settings. Make sure that both computers are using the same Workgroup name. When you get machines from different manufacturers, these can be anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;The simplest is to just use &quot;WORKGROUP&quot; unless you have something different that you would prefer.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would also check the cables very closely to make sure they are 568B specification.

98SE when is was first released had a networking issue that didn't allow you to see other box's on the network microsoft came out with a patch for it check the knowledge base for the fix.

Since you only have two, get rid of TCPIP and IPX (which in only need if you're connecting to Novell).

add File and Printing sharing on both

Two questions: Since you have NETBEUI loaded, are you succesfully logging in to the machine after a reboot. Can you browse Network Neighborhood?

Is file and Print sharing checked in the Network Neighborhood properties box? [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back