Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst Sup720 SP Flash upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have recently upgraded some older Catalyst Sup7203B modules from 64MB SP Flash to the Compact Flash adapters with 512MB Compact Flash cards (WS-CF-UPG=). As a result I now have several spare 64MB Flash DIMMs. Cisco don't seem to advertise the inter-compatibility of memory between products - i.e. the same memory module for one type of router might be compatible with another router however the part numbers are different and trying to find the information on CCO is impossible.
Does anyone know what other Cisco products these Flash DIMMs are likely to be compatible with, it seems a waste just to throw them away.

Cheers

andy

I am 90% sure that they can only be used on the sup720 modules. They were the defult for all sup720's before may 2006, but they are now shipping all of the 720's with the 512MB

Its standard compact flash.. You can use it in other routers, you might just have to reformat it..

Its standard compact flash.. You can use it in other routers, you might just have to reformat it..

No, not the Compact Flash that fits into the two front slots on the Sup720 (disk0: and disk1:), the internal Flash DIMMs. If you look at figure 4 here:
it shows the two Flash DIMMs that are installed - one on the SP and one on the RP. The old 64MB DIMM has been removed and replaced with the Compact Flash Adapter that sits in the SP DIMM socket and presents a Compact Flash slot internally (it gets referred to as sup-disk0:).

If they fit any other routers/switches that would be good, otherwise I have 4 64MB DIMMs that are heading to the bin....

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back