Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 4006 poor routing performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelH

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
NZ
Hi,

I have a Catalyst 4006 which (i was told) is meant to be quite quick in the routing stakes.. my experience has been to the contrary.
With just a couple of simple static routes (100MB LAN Segment to 100MB LAN Segment) and my (3x) backup servers routing through it i am getting CPU utilisation well over %80 for the time period the backups are running. And if i run more host traffic through the switch i get noticable traffic delays.

Now i know that on a 4006 the CPU is expected to average around the %20 percent mark as it is monitoring switchport (5 x 48 ports) status, etherchannel etc... but i was suprised that it does not out perform a Cisco 2600 router! which does handle that traffic throughput easily.

can anyone else confirm this or is this perhaps more a mis-configuration issue.. which if so what kind of mis-configuration could cause this poor routing performance.

cheers

joel

Well i thought i would post an update just in case anyone was interested.

Evidently the reason the my confusion over what performance to expect from a 4006 switch comes from the fact that there is a seperate hardware routing module available which routes extremely quick. As opposed to standard 4006 routing performance with the Supervisor CPU which is poor (as in my case).

cheers

joel

What supervisor engine are you running?? Unless you have SUP III you cannot route inside the Supervisor..

If you have a SUP II or lower then you have to get the Layer 3 blade to be able to route..

There are a few things to check. Make sure you have "IP MLS" and "IP CEF" enabled...

I haven't worked on a 4006 in along time and I'm sure there might be a few more commands...

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back