Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 3550 port monitoring VLAN traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

keno44

Technical User
Dec 13, 2002
US
i have a vlan (vlan3) on which i need to monitor/scan for IM and P2P traffic. vlan3 routes to vlan4 which is the vlan closest to our firewall. i have set a monitor session to monitor vlan 3 (rx) and set its destination to the interface on which my packet analyzer sits. i have also been told that my dest monitor port needs to be set up on vlan4, again the vlan that sits closest to my firewall.

i have not yet began to see any traffic go to the monitor port. can someone suggest to me a reference which can walk me through some troubleshooting or provide a few troubleshooting techniques?

on a broadcast (hubbed) network, my packet analyzer does seem to work properly.

thank you for your help.

You might Have the monitoring port in the wrong vlan !
Both the Source and Destination ports need to be in the same vlan !
so if you want to monitor port 1/1 in Vlan3 then the packet analyser/destination port needs also to be in vlan3.

Also on the 3550 the default for the span/monitor sess is uni-directional (rx only) by default. you need to add the both switch to the monitor comand (show port monitor ... should give the direction). I assume you are familar with the format of the span commande in 3550's in that you have to enter 2 commands 1 for source, 1 for destination.

Tip: If you are only interested in the P2P/IM to the external network I would monitor the firewall port as it is port span and will not contain the VLAN3 chat/internal network so buffers will be smaller.

online manuals is where I would look try entering the generic part of the command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back