Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cataloging (right word?) a copied tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiservguy

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
We're running BAB 11 on a Dell PowerVault system. We're backing up to hard drive, then copying the backups to tape. We're then over-writing the backups on hard drive every week. This works great for us.

Today I had to restore a file off of the tape copy for the first time. I was expecting to see some sort of "catalog" option (similar to Veritas Backup Exec) to let BAB know what was on the tape so I could pick and chose what to restore. I couldn't find it. I wound up restoring the entire tape and deleting everything except the four files I wanted.

On further research, I see that there is a "merge" command, but the documentation says it should be in the "quick access" menu. I don't have a quick access menu, but I see a "merge" in the Utilities menu. Is this what I'm looking for?

thanks in advance,
matt

Yes, Utilities/Merge. Then merge all sessions or a particular session.

Don't know what sessions are on the tape then run a Scan also found under utilites. The job log from the Scan will report the sessions on tape.

Tapecopy has a couple of popular options, append and merge. The first is nice because the copy does not have the same name as the original so if the delete the copy will not be pruned from the database along with it. The second is nice because data is automatically merged into the database.

Also a tape copy can be secheduled via the Job Scheduler Wizard and having it run ca_devmgr.

Excellent. Thanks for your help (again), Davidmichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back