Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cataloging Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

eburg

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
I would like to catalog magazine articles. Fields are: Publication, Date, Author, Editor, Keywords. How do I best handle the physical article?
Scan to a library directory and create a filename field in the table? Can a report field contain a shortcut to the article?
Or, do I copy and paste the text to a table field so I can do an actual keyword search (instead of manually entering them).
Is there another way?
Thanks in advance

Thanks Richard,
I had already read your excellent post to Muriel, but I didn't note any discussion regarding the actual physical article. It seemed her DB cataloged articles and could be queried by keyword, but had no reference as to where to find the actual article, or facsimile thereof, for further reference.
Would the size overhead of pasting the text of articles in a table field be prohibitive? Would this allow real time keyword searching?
If too bloated, I think the next best stategy is to scan the articles to a removable disc drive (Iomega REV) with a file name = ArtID and the disc name = the year. New disc every year. Keywords can be entered manually. Queries would include date and ArtID and whatever else desired, pointing the user to the article's file location.
How do you see it?
Thanks again!

If I understand your requirement correctly, for a "quick" answer, you could use a hyper-link. Define a field in your "search" article / publication table as a hyper-link. The link can point to the article elsewhere on the server, a link to a web page, or even a link to a document that has a collection of links. The cool thing about links is that you can even link to bookmarks on the target document.

I find this approach better than using command buttons to open the application / document.

Of course the bad thing about the above is that you have no control over the external document - they can move resulting in broken links.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back