Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinetic123

Programmer
Nov 23, 2001
US
Hi,

In a catalog i pull in a database table and its alias. When a column is added in the database to this table, i update the catalog by pulling in the added column. But this adds the column only to the Catalog table that referes to the databse table and NOT to the alias. Also the added column is not refelected in the Folders. Any work around?

Thanks in advance.

Kinetic,

Column adds after the table is initially added will not automatically generate into the folders. You will have to add them separately, using the generate option, picking only the columns you want. You can then move them from their initial truncated folders into their proper folder and delete the empty folder (usually with a 2 on the name) afterwards. I've never had to add extra columns to a second table alias before, but here's two suggestions: first try to add the new column to the table alias in the Tables screen via 'drag-and-drop'. This may overcome the problem with it only appearing in the non-aliased table. If this doesn't work, you may have to delete the alias table completely (losing any joins) and re-add it again. This definitely will work, but requires more effort.

HTH,

Dave Griffin ;-)

Kinetic123,

One method I've used to update Alias tables is descibed in the KB document 80561. This is for version 5 but I've used it on version 6 successfully. I suggest you try it on a copy before attempting it on a production catalog. If you can't access the KB here's the details,

Perform the following steps to add a column to an alias table:

1. Rename the original table in the Catalog Tables window, for example, from Customer to Cust
2. In the Catalog tables window, rename the alias so that the alias is the same as the original, so instead of Customer_Alias(Customer) you have Customer(Customer)
3. In the Database Table window, expand the table that contains the new column in and select the new column name only, not the table name
4. Click A to add it to the alias table
5. Rename both tables in the catalog to their original names.

Hope this works OK.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back