Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catalog tape & vmquery questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yowza

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I would like to store my catalog tapes, along with my backup tapes, offsite after each monthly backup. Also, since I recently replaced the Sys Admin, I am trying to compile a list of all tapes that were used for the catalog tape for the last 13 months, as well as the contents of each tape.

1. Is there a way to get a list of all the catalog tapes that have been used in the past year or so? I used the bpsyncinfo command and it just gives me the latest tape used. I can't find any documentation on the options for bpsyncinfo.

2. I ran the vmquery -a command and am not sure what I am looking at. Does this command provide a list of all the tapes ever used?

3. The Status column in the available_media command shows tapes that are Active, Available, and Full. Is it safe to assume that all tapes listed as Available can be put back in the robot and used? I have one tape that is currently in the robot that has a status of available, but I was unable to see what was on the tape using the bpimmedia command. It came back with "No entity found".

Any help with the above questions is greatly appreciated!!

yowza

1. /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/DBBACKUP_CALLED is a file that lists all catalog backups and includes the date/time and the tape used. Here is an example:
Fri Jun 4 23:36:02 EDT 2004 NetBackup databases backed up on TAPE 200007

2. vmquery -a
Shows all volumes. This will show all volumes regardless of location or availability. If netbackup knows about the volume it will be displayed. There is a man page available on vmquery.

3. you can put the available tapes in the library and use them. A available (scratch) tape will have no data returned by bpimmedia command. An active (in use) tape will have data returned using bpimmedia.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back