Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat6500, files in bootflash 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microbyte

Technical User
Feb 20, 2003
US
there are 2 files in bootflash of supervisor module,

c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-22.E2.bin and
c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-22.E2.bin

what are the differences?
Thanks in advance!

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

One is the bootloader file which is basically a mini IOS that will get loaded if for some reason the main IOS can't be loaded . The bootloader gives you quite a bit of functionality in order to be able to recover from a non loaded full IOS . This was done on earlier hybrid boxes . Most newer versions a native boxes do not use the bootloader image .

Thanks viper for your reply,

I know one is the scaled down version of the standard IOS, but what's the other one?

One is bit more than 1 meg and the other one is 14 meg.

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

The other is the main IOS image that will get loaded (c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-22.E2.bin) . The bootloader is the small one .

Oh, I thought
c6sup22-js-mz.121-23.E1.bin stored in sup-bootflash is the main IOS image?
Isn't it?

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

You didn't mention that . Sounds like it was converted from hybrid to native IOS in which yes the one you mention is the IOS it would be loading from sup-bootflash .

Yes! the switch has been converted from hybrid to native IOS.

So from my understand,
c6sup22-js-mz.121-23.E1.bin is the main native IOS. (~20meg)

c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-22.E2.bin is the mini IOS (~1 meg)

c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-22.E2.bin is hybrid IOS (~14 meg).

Right?

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

Correct , if it has been converted you do not need those other 2 old files , they can be deleted .

Thanks, you've been great help!

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back