Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e Patch Panel for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilep

Programmer
Nov 12, 2007
CA
These is so much choice on patch panels. Are they basically the same because I see some at $30 and others that look pretty similar at $80. Any recommendations on a web site or brand ?

Thx !

How about the other way. Patch panels are the same if you're buying the same type. Ebay is a source for patch panels, if you know what you are buying. I picked up some off-brand 5e panels on a closeout for a buck a jack.

Name brand 5e panels tend to wholesale for about $4 a port. Properly installed 5e/350 Mhz cable on quality jacks will run Gigabyte Ethernet, so it's unlikely that you would gain much by using Cat6 and you'd never want anything less than 5e/350.

As always, YMMV.

LkEErie

No, they are not basically the same. There is a lot of "couth" that goes into the manufacturing process. The high end units allow; better multiple insert/removal capability, more contact material and better electrical conductor material.

On the other hand, name brand overstock items that are marked down or "fire-sale" are every bit as good.

Determine the amount of potential problem time versus panel savings that is acceptable to you.

This is an area near-dear to my heart. For many years we had to convince customers to go with known brand name cables and connectors to hook up their multi-million dollar computers and software. The typical cost of good cabling was 3% where they (customer) wanted it less than 1%. Argghh.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

I'm a Leviton shop, but in my residence I'll use any brand name or any off-brand and never worry about insertions and contact material. Names like AMP, Hubbel, ICC, Leviton, Gruber, Avaya/Systemax/Whatever, Panduit, and the like can compete for my attention and they're all good. A quick Ebay search of 5e patch panel brings 38 panels ranging in price from .50 to 5.00 a jack. I'd buy any and all items listed for residential and at least half of them for commercial accounts.

Or I'd pick up the phone and call my distributor and order an ICC or Leviton or whatever the customer specified panel.

LkEErie

I wouldn't balk at having Allen-Tel in my house either - I really have no idea how they price compared to others because my company has an account at Graybar and I just go in and sign for what I need - never see a price and my bosses have never said "Stop that!" I just get Allen-Tel becasue that's what my predecessor always got so I try to remain consistenet and they have never geiven me a reason not to keep buying them. (In other words, we have had network failures but it has never been because of the AT products)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back