Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e MPB96 not detected on auto power on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
CA
CallPilot 600R 5.0 patched with SU11 etc.

So I have just spent a couple hours in the lab trying to figure this thing out.

It used to be when power is applied to a CallPilot 600R server it would automatically power up and start. All services would load and the CallPilot would start processing calls. That's not what this server is doing...

Apply power, server does not auto start (set that way in BIOS). Press the power button server starts normal every time. All services come up and CallPilot processes calls.

Not a problem I say. Let me "fix" the BIOS and turn that feature on. "F2" as the system boots. Adjust the auto start, save and exit.

Apply power, Server automatically starts. Get popup "The following device(s) cannot be detected in the CallPilot system ; BRD01(04210000);DSP01-001(06210000) I can continue listing all the rest but will stop there. This is fairly consistant. Odd time things will start normally.
Should be noted there are no lights on the MPB96 board. and CallPilot is not accepting calls.

I perform a software restart when the system is in the above state and the callpilot starts perfectly every time.

Just wondering if I have missed a bulletin somewhere along the line about this issue.

did you run through the config wiz after patch install to have the DSPs flashed?

Yes, performed the config wizard immediatly after loading the patches and did it again today just for giggles.

This only appears to happen when the server does an automatic cold start.
A cold start where I press the power button works great. A warm restart works great.

is it doing the memory count on bootup? maybe it's setup to bypass the memory count.

check out page 104/105 of the NN44200-703 600r maint guide.

Under "BOOT"
Extended Memory Test is disabled

Options are:
1 Mb
1 Kb
Every Location
Disabled

This isn't mentioned in the documentation you pointed out. I will go through it in more detail tomorrow.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the default BIOS settings are off since I did locate at least one item (auto start upon power on)

ok, good luck.
i think there are only a handful of settings that are unique. but go with the book,

Changing the bois setting to run the extended memory test appears to have resolved the issue. Shut down and restarted several times to have it boot normal every time.

Still havent located in the documentation where it says what the extended memory test should be set at. For the heck of it I set it at every location. It takes less than 30 seconds to count to 512 then continues with it's boot. Looks like that extra little delay is what the system was looking for...

How did you stumble across this fix?

only assumption based on this statment:

To run the POST
Step Action
1 Power up the CallPilot server and monitor.
Result: After a few seconds, POST begins to run.
After the memory test, various screen prompts and messages
appear.

update:

Yes, turning on the extended memory test did solve the immediate problem and get the server to boot "properly"

The fix was to follow the documentation. Load opimal settings and then make the proper changes. Those changes did not include enabling the extended memory test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back