Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e 100mhz vs 350mhz 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWK

Technical User
May 15, 2002
GB
I am about to run Cat5e cable in my office and I have noticed that there are two types - 100mhz and 350mhz. What is the difference and are there any benefits of using one over the other. Also, will there be any implications for other equipment that I am installing, like patch panels and switches for data and for telephones or does the above equipment work as well with both types.

Thanks in advance

Terry

There is not much difference. The 350 stuff is "New and Improved" so it must be the better of the two. The 350 is made to tighter standards but unless you are planning to run state of the art equipment you won't need it. That said we use the 350 stuff at the school district because it dosen't cost that much more and I like the fact that most of it is marked from 1000' down so I know how much is in the box without having to resort to math.

350 mhz has what they call "more overhead". Which means more room for bandwidth. The spec is on the cable so that it can be tested with a scanner.

Cat5e seems to be available in the two flavors, though there is only one Cat5e standard. The Cat5e 100 MHz is often referred to as 'minimumly compliant' Cat5e. That is, it meets the minimum specifications involved for Category 5 Enhanced. Early on, many cable manufactures saw the potential for selling Cat5e with a higher bandwidth in anticipation that it would be approved later for Cat6 use. Many of us bought it and put it in, and still are. I currently pay $30 a box for Cat5, about $52 for Cat5e minimumly compliant, and about $82 for Cat5e 250-350 Mhz. The price is not that much greater for the higher bandwidth product.

However, take note that when you test or scan the wire for compliance with Cat5e standards, you are only testing it at 100 MHz. Is that hardware for Cat5e designed to be tested at 350Mhz? Certainly not, so you are buying wire with some headroom built into it, which is probably not a bad idea (at least I hope not because it is almost all we use), but the Cat5e hardware and the Cat5e standards are only going to get you 100 Mhz of bandwidth.

Also, many of us thought we might just be able to slip back in later and upgrade the hardware and end up with a Cat6 system. However to make the Cat6 products actually work as planned, the standards committee had to approve a larger gage wire (23 gage) for this standard. I have not tried it, but I find it quite unlikely that just adding Cat6 compliant jacks on the Cat5e 350Mhz cable will give you a solid Cat6 solution.

It is my opinion that one should buy the best quality wire on the market (that you can afford) for the installation, and plan on making that last as long as possible before having to jump to the next level of solution.

Hope that Helps. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back